Those who need help in sexing peafowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im very inexperienced with peafowl but something about Thor rings male to me :) even though his pattern is smooth like a peahen, he seems like a he. Maybe from his face? I don't know if thay could have anything to do with gender though.. XD I also have a pea, lynas that i feel like is a she though he has all his wing barring still at 6 months......
good luck though, I hope you end up with a breeding pair :D I ended up with three boys. I'm considering getting a white hen though seeing one of my boys is split to white :)

Last edited:
Thank you. I had that happen to me the one time. I sexed peachicks according to the barring on the shoulder and it was something I regretted. Barring can change when they are anywhere from 7 to 9 months. Primary feathers haven't steered me wrong since I've been using. Though it doesn't work with all varieties. Especially when it comes to chicks that hatch out mostly white. Pied is the only variety you could do that if your lucky enough that the chick doesn't have white primaries. Because usually when it comes to white peafowl feathers are white though I've seen hens that are in the snow with a creamy yellow added to their neck and breast.

These pieds were hatched on 6/3 2013.
Male

male headshot

Female

You stated that thor is just now getting some barring but it has been my experence that male IB chick never loose their barring per say they just get a different kind of barring, even the adult barring will be different, where as a female will molt off to a solid with some lacing a bit up the back and over the tail and some on the wings.

Also you should be seeing bigger spur bumps starting on Thor compared to the said hen.

Thora... What a DARLING name!
lau.gif
But his name is THOR. Not Thora.
smile.png

Are you and Birdrain92 friends?

Yeah we are friends. Thank you for the tip. I just looked at pics of Thor on the left and zoomed and he has had one barred feather the entire time just not like he does now his wings. I haven't noticed spur bumps yet on Thor. For Colbolt he had a very tiny bump were the spur is until he was about 18 months. I don't know the day Colbolt and Jadea hatched all I know is they are both in September. First 4 peafowl I started with were Colbolt, Jadea, Genie, and Sapphire.
Jadea is on the left, Colbolt is the one in the middle standing Sapphire is laying down, and Genie is on the right. Genie figured out how to open doors and flew the coop. Sapphire was killed and left right behind that board. Something tore through the chicken wire bit him on the wing and shook him to death.
Then I got peafowl eggs from the person I got all these guys from. I hatched out 2 out of the 5 eggs I got. There names were Ion and Aurora. Aurora died because when I had a tether on her leg she wouldn't stop flying and she pulled both legs out of socket and then she died a week after. Ion I was thinking he would be a girl because of the lack of barring it was dark brown. He began to gain barring and started getting a blue neck. First of my peacocks to be free range and then one morning he was gone. I wish I had a pic of Ion older but sadly I don't. I didn't want a picture taken of me and Ion until I showed him at the Canyon County fair because I would be the first person in history to show peafowl at the Canyon County Fair. Sadly that never happened. It was my big dream I thought nothing would ever happen to him since he was so close to the house. I knew they could fly, just didn't know they can FLY at this age. He might have flew somewhere and died or someone now has him. Then I hatched out Coco and she died and then we now have Thor and Calypso.

This is the only pic I have of Aurora on the left and Ion on the right. I know Ion is blurry but looking hard enough he had really no barring. Though this is them at a week but he had no barring when he was fully feathered and around 4 months is when the barring started coming in then he was gone.

Last edited:
You should get your friend to take some photos for you,
i know some cell phones don't do real thing justice when it comes to capturing the real deal,
i need some new picture cards, my photos are washed out looking unless it is a close up but i have taken 1000's photos with them so it is time for new cards, course as soon as i buy new cards the camers will mess up cause that is my luck and they are 6 and 8 years old.
Sorry you lost your babies back then, it is hard for sure
hugs.gif

You need to keep a photo log of Thor cause this is something new to the IB ,
wink.png
cause i never seen it before however old hen peafowl have been known to turn male colors and even get a small train but even that is kinda rare.

I could do photos if you want me to. And I agree with Zaz's idea of keeping a photo log of Thor. It's a really good idea!
smile.png

That's what I planned on since he's my first Pied peafowl I've ever had along with Calypso but I brought home Thor first. I've seen that with some peahens it's like 1 out every 10 old peahens end up like that. Also an interesting fact about birds is when they get so old they begin to look like males and act like them. Not sure why but sometimes it just happens. My neighbor mentioned that when her IB peahen breed with her White sometimes she gets males that don't have the shoulders of the male but of the female until they begin turning blue. She mentioned that maybe that Thor's parents might have been a white male or female and an IB male or female. The person I bought Thor from says he gets Pied peachicks that come from his IB peahen and White male. He has a IB pied male and IB pied peahen and when those two mix you can get pied peachicks from that as well. Maybe he took an egg from a his IB peahen when his White peacock was in. He told me either way you're getting a Pied peafowl.

Something I don't know if you guys didn't realize is Ion is a type of element if the Ionosphere that makes Auroras when hit by sunlight. I did those name one because Ion would be beautiful and the two are already together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom