Those who need help in sexing peafowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
KsKingBee,,a "Split" really should be re-named in my opinion as a "carrier". If you breed an Iindia Blue Peacock to an India Blue black shoulder hen your going to get peachicks that are visually a black shoulder,and visually a standard barred winged India Blue.But because both parents is a diffrent pattern,the chicks will all be "split" to the pattern they are NOT visually showing,,The peachicks that are born Yellow are black shoulders but still carry the barred winged genetics from their father,,thus "split" to barred wing.Regular brown looking peachicks with barring will be "split" to black shoulder.

Well when some one just says BS I think of an IB BS. They should change the name to carrier instead of split. As for the BS they should change the name to Solid Shoulder because as you said the other varieties don't really have Black Shoulders. The pattern is solid instead of barring so it should be Solid Shoulder or something other than BS.

KsKingBee,,a "Split" really should be re-named in my opinion as a "carrier". If you breed an Iindia Blue Peacock to an India Blue black shoulder hen your going to get peachicks that are visually a black shoulder,and visually a standard barred winged India Blue.But because both parents is a diffrent pattern,the chicks will all be "split" to the pattern they are NOT visually showing,,The peachicks that are born Yellow are black shoulders but still carry the barred winged genetics from their father,,thus "split" to barred wing.Regular brown looking peachicks with barring will be "split" to black shoulder.
all chicks should be IB split black shoulder. You will not get a BS chick out of that pairing unless the IB peacock is split to BS as well. This below is a copy of Deermans post from his "Breeding Chart" thread:

1. India Blue X India Blue = India Blue.

2. India Blue X Black Shoulder = all India Blue chicks split Black Shoulder.

3. India Blue split Black Shoulder X India Blue split Black Shoulder = 25% Black Shoulder, 50% India Blue split Black Shoulder and 25% India Blue.

4. India Blue split Black Shoulder X Black Shoulder = 50 % Black Shoulder and 50% India Blue split to Black Shoulder.

5. India Blue X White = all India Blue split to White. These will have white flight feathers.

6. India Blue split White X India Blue split White = 25% White; 50% India Blue split White and 25% India Blue.

7. India Blue split White X White = 50% White and 50% India Blue split White.

8. Black Shoulder X White = all India Blue chicks split Black Shoulder and split White.

9. Purple Cock X India Blue hen = India Blue cocks split Purple and Purple hens. This is because the Purple color is sex link.

10.India Blue cock X Purple hen = all India Blue, only the cocks split to Purple.

11. India Blue cock, split Purple X Purple hen = 50% Purple cocks, 50% India Blue cocks split Purple, 50% Purple hens and 50% India Blue hens.

12. India Blue cock, split Purple X India Blue hen = 50% India Blue cocks split to Purple and 50% India Blue cocks, 50% Purple hens, 50% India Blue hens.

13. India Blue to Bronze = all India Blue split Bronze.

14. India Blue split Bronze X India Blue split Bronze = 25% Bronze, 50% India Blue split Bronze and 25% India Blue.

15. Bronze X India Blue split Bronze = 50% Bronze and 50% India Blue split Bronze.

16. India Blue Pied X India Blue = India Blue split white and India Blue split Pied.

17. India Blue Pied X India Blue Pied = 25% White, 50% India Blue Pied ,and 25% Dark pied.

18. India Blue Pied X White = 50% India Blue Pied and 50% White.

19. India Blue Pied X India Blue Dark Pied = 50% India Blue Pied and 50% India Blue Dark Pied.

20. White X India Blue Dark Pied = all India Blue Pied.

21. pied X non pied = 50 % split pied and 50 % white(these will have white flights)

22. split pied X split white= pied ,non pied, split pied ,and split white.

23. silver pied X pied = 50% pied ,25% white and 25% darkpied.... no silver pieds

Ok this is a start.........you can replace purple with any sex link color

you can replace bronze with any color except a sexlink color

with the pattern white eye only one parent need to be white eye =some white eye chicks

Patterns are 1. barred wing(wild type) Colors..1. Green 6. taupe 11. bronze
2, solid wing(blackshoulder) 2. blue 7.Sonja Violeta (SL) 12. opal
3. white eye 3. white 8. purple (SL) 13. charcoal
4. pied 4. jade 9. peach (SL)
5. silver pied 5. midnight 10. cameo (Sex Link)

Sexlinks colors you only need a male to produce sexlink color female.

You can not get a male sexlink without a male that color ,or split that color , and hen that color.

NO HEN can be split to a sexlink color.

Patterns ...birds can show more than one pattern.

All silver pied are white eye...that two pattern

Will add to this later

Last edited:
Yoda,,I get IB Black shoulder peachicks from my 8 100% looking IB Barred patterned hens,with an IB Pied and regular IB barred winged male.Someone in the group is carrying b/s and not showing it,,so yes,I'd say barred winged IB birds can be carriers of B/S I hatched 4 IB B/S chicks from this pen the past summer,so it may be more than one hiding b/s. Your saying both parents must be at least split to b/s,,then one of my two males at least is carrying b/s,,the pied or barred winged one.

The terms commonly used in genetics-speak with regards to mutation breeding have been in-use for a long time in many species. "What you see" split to "what you don't see, but is there" has been how things have been described with little complication elsewhere. Coming up with different terms for peafowl will lead to confusion, requiring "translation" from learning about genetics in another species before using it in peafowl. It's like doing construction, but saying that you don't like the names for the tools and supplies, and deciding to "make up your own". Well, if you want to do that, it's your choice, but good luck when you go shopping at Home Depot.

;-)

All my roosters IBBS have iridescent feathers on the wings !

When the gene "pied " is there, feathers of IBBS pied become matte .... iridescent feathers have disappeared !

Why in all the other colors when the BS gene is there the feathers of the wings are matt?

There is another type of IBBS with matt feathers on the wings ... very rare!

as a very black look ! look at the neck!

If I recall correctly .. the black shoulder peafowl showed up around 1880 and people thought it was a new color when they give it the name . It was discovered later that it was a pattern not a color but the name stuck and I don't think it will change for a very long time . The B S pattern is in all colors and is a pattern that does not have any barring in the wings. To me then the other is called a wild pattern and all colors have barred wings.. When you breed a pair of BS together they will produce B S when you use one BS and one split to BS, you will get less and when you just use split to BS birds you will get still less B S offspring. As has been mentioned many times , make good records and use a good method to find them 2-3 yrs later.

I find an other picture of this bird !

grrr ... grrr... I want to know everything about that bird !

I send a message to Thomas !

An other place :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalart/1479269951/in/pool-phasianidae
The name of 'the artist ' is not ... a good signe !
Same park ... same bird .... an other photograph.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/996120...ix7-cCjxRu-cCjn9w-cCjvrA-cCjdHN-cCjsSL-cPfZ2b
this hen is unusual. It is probably a Afropavo x cristatus (yes, it's possible!) back-crossed a few generations.

silver pied x pied with one copy of white eye gene - may be called a loud pied = you can get some silver pied chicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom