Thoughts on this kill cone stand from eBay?

ladybrasa

Songster
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia, USA
I’m going to have extra Roos as a result of hatching a few chicks and straight runs from TSC, and have decided to process them when they get large enough, with the help of a work friend or two. I don’t think I can do the deed myself, but pretty sure I can process afterwards. I’d like to do the kill cone Method and decapitate. None are ready, except a CX i bought from TSC to make up the 4 chick minimum (got 2, hoping one was a female and maybe could get her to survive; the other is smaller and way more active and happy doing chicken stuff). This guy - pretty sure he’s a roo - is crazy huge and clearly has pain in his legs. He sits down more and more and clearly it would be cruel to wait.

Anyway, was looking around for killing cones and a stand, but can’t really find much! I only see just the cones, or larger units for processing many birds. I’m not interested in doing this on a regular basis. I also don’t want to permanently mount a killing cone somewhere. Don’t have time to diy a stand. So basically just wondering if this single cone and stand on eBay is decent? Any other options? Thank you for any input!
(Also if you haven’t noticed, I’m a complete noob to this side of chickens!)

https://www.ebay.com/i/372633292236...a9c7ArAumOQh4olduP8Dx31pKhiuRGqwaAtl1EALw_wcB

You can just put a screw in any vertical wooden surface you have outside, and hang the cone from that. I've hung my cone from the wooden railing of the back door steps, and from the wooden posts supporting the back porch. Both have worked fine. You can take the screw out afterwards.

I just attach my cones to a sawhorse with a screw and washer and detach them when I'm done.
I’m sorry, I’m not visualizing this set-up. Let’s just say I’m technically challenged ... :oops:

I take a tomato plant cone, tip it upside down, curl the legs over and place a traffic cone in it.
And you can place it in they tomato climber!
Yeah, I think I read about others doing this set up also. Not doubting, but can the cage really hold up an 8-10 L.B. bird? I do have cages, but maybe mine are just flimsy ...

I've hung my cone from the wooden railing of the back door steps, and from the wooden posts supporting the back porch.
Yeah, I could ... but others in the house would probably freak out ...

I’m sorry, I’m not visualizing this set-up. Let’s just say I’m technically challenged ... :oops:

for example:
0004031_slaughter-cone-large_grande.jpg

*not my picture

They usually come with a predrilled hole that you can use to screw the cone into a piece of wood.

I like to use a washer with the screw so it is more secure.

like this:
with_washers.jpg

*also not my picture

Back
Top Bottom