Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Evelle, sorry about your orp. I haven't lost any lately, but I have lost a few this year. My duck to a hawk, a duck, 3 orps, a BR, and a SLW to raccoons. I still let mine out. I'd rather be out where I could be hit by a car or who knows then locked in jail all the time, so I don't want to jail my birds. They do have a big covered run attached to the coop so I can lock them up safe at night and they still have lots of room. It needs reinforced though, and I'll be doing that once it gets warmer.
me too its so heart breaking. i come out and they step on eachother and get louder and call for me :( i cant do that i feel like im neglecting them.. and it SO MUCH WORK keeping them in... but i might have to for a little while ive been losing a chicken a week all winter.
im down to 38 chickens from 45

i blame it on this mild winter.. if it was normal they wouldnt be wondering as far out to find things to graze on.

Quote:
yay!!! darn you choco!!!

QJ thats what happened on some of mine that I incubated with the turner.

Celtic you wanna come on over and put my fencing up when your done. Lol! I need to build 3 pens. Maybe 4 depending if i can get some goose eggs.
wink.png
Are you watching an auction in Ebay?

Come to my place first! We still need to finish our coop.... and now I'm thinking I may want to fence off a 2nd ducky set up in backyard.... as the coop on the horse property seems so far away.

4 pips now. I opened one further than I thought I should, but it was one of the first to internal pip and it was moving around and almost had it's beak back under the membrane, so I had to open it enough to pull it's beak back towards where it should be and out again. I don't know if that's what I should have done, but I don't think it could breath if it went back under there. I'm going to leave everyone as is for now. Then tonight once I get my kids to sleep and have some uninterrupted time I'll start helping them out. Little guy is sitting on his feet and lifting his head, he'll probably be ready for the brooder by then.

I would have done the same thing.
4 pips now. I opened one further than I thought I should, but it was one of the first to internal pip and it was moving around and almost had it's beak back under the membrane, so I had to open it enough to pull it's beak back towards where it should be and out again. I don't know if that's what I should have done, but I don't think it could breath if it went back under there. I'm going to leave everyone as is for now. Then tonight once I get my kids to sleep and have some uninterrupted time I'll start helping them out. Little guy is sitting on his feet and lifting his head, he'll probably be ready for the brooder by then.

I'd sell you some eggs, but mine aren't laying yet. LOL.

But their VEINING!!!!

What kind do you want? Oh and.. FYI.. Wait until the last 5 minutes and then swoop in and get them! Ebay is a nasty little sport.

Yes! I have bids out on 2 different ones. Hoping I can win both and get 4 instead of only 2. Though it would be nice if I could find someone on here that is selling them. That way i can get them from someone I trust.

Back
Top Bottom