Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

With newly hatched birds, I keep the temperature at 98 degrees F,  Measuring under the center of the light, at duckling level. Raising or lowering the light to adjust. I do this because at first, should they become to hot, the ducklings are not strong enough to move to a cooler spot. I keep it at this temperature for the first 10 days. decreasing the temperature 5 degrees each week thereafter providing the outside temperature permits. The ideal temperature for 6 week old bird is 70 degrees F.

You can, if you want, confine the birds to the heated area with a corrugated paper chick guard for the first 3 to 4 days. Watch the actions of the birds as a clue to their comfort. You will be able to tell on sight if the duckling are warm enough. If they are too hot, they will move away from the heat. If too cold they may pile up and be noisy. The birds will be moving around, eating and drinking if they are comfortable. High temperatures may result in slower feathering and growth. When decreasing the temperature consider the behavior of your ducklings at all times. 

As they grow, they will need more space and less heat. Observe the birds - if they stay away from the heat, turn it off - if they get their pen messy rapidly, they need more bedding and more space. Supplementary heat may be needed for 5 to 6 weeks in cold weather; in summer, only 2 to 3 weeks. By five or six weeks they can probably be outside all the time, except in extremely cold, wet weather. Make sure it's good weather before you put them outside. In some areas attention to predator control may be necessary when the ducklings and/or goslings are turned out.

Good luck! You cann tell us all about them once they are hatched, and we can see picks. I took a pic today of a quail egg against our neighbors white chicken egg. How do I post that to the thread we are talking in? I only know how to do the title pic.....

It's kinda ugly but it has the cocoa gene. One of those game bird type breeds that I don't know about. :)

Good luck! You cann tell us all about them once they are hatched, and we can see picks. I took a pic today of a quail egg against our neighbors white chicken egg. How do I post that to the thread we are talking in? I only know how to do the title pic.....

Act like you're going to comment on a post and then in the left hand corner under the word "Source" there is a little icon of a house pic. click on that and upload your picture. It has to be in your computer already though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14070304268...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1082wt_1185

I HAVE A PIP!!

On the ABSOLUTE WRONG END OF THE EGG!
roll.png

It's peeping for me though when I call to it. Which is interesting.
The other egg that is in the air cell is still working on pipping. Probably within the next hour or so.

Back
Top Bottom