Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

It takes up to three days for duck eggs to hatch. Really, just give them some time....
wink.png

Well no babies this morning. No movement from any of the 5 eggs at all. What am I supposed to do? How long Is long enough? Should I still wait if so how long? Should I float the eggs to see if they're still alive? I don't know what to do with the 5 eggs?

My temp is study at 99.5 and my humidity is around 70-75. I did take one egg out last night and candled it. I couldn't see much in there so I couldn't tell if thete was movement or not. The air cell was still intact no pipping at all. I am at a loss. I could understand one or two not moving or dying but all of them not moving or dying at the same time.

If your temp is a bit low (not all thermometers are accurate), they might be several days behind hatch date. It's hard to wait, but I've had them hatch when I really didn't expect it. There really is nothing you can do to help until they are pipping - if they don't do most of the work, they will just die if you try to help them. I find hatching both fun and stressful, no way around it, I always loose some of them and sometimes most or all of them. On the plus side they are so adorable that I just do it again the next year!

Are these your eggs? Were they shipped? I've had dismal luck with shipped eggs, their air cells are usually not intact and they have a terrible time if they make it to hatch, because the air cell doesn't always reform properly and they can't breathe to work their way out.

However, the movement is a good sign and can start days before actual hatching, which can take a couple of days after they start to peep at you. Darn it's hard to wait!

These are from my ducks. I thought everything was going along fine. I got their little living area all ready to go and I have been so excited waiting for the peeping and those cute and little fuzzy butts ti show up but there as been nothing. Then today I find out I have to go back on for surgery for the third time on my big toe the week of Thanksgiving and I will be off my feet for four to five weeks. So I have to find somebody to take care of my horse, two goats and five ducks. My hubby is a truck driver so he is never home. What a mess.

So was Saturday day 28 then?

Mine all died before getting to the air sac. I had one get to the air sac and then die 3 days later without pipping. I had one that managed to pip and I had to help it the rest of the way 3 days later. That one is doing fine.

Have any of your broke into the air sac yet? AND were these the first eggs from your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom