Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this thread and am hopefully about to start my first incubation tomorrow!! I've ordered 6 buff eggs from Metzer which I will pick up (thankfully only live a few miles from there so saves the stress of shipping them). I have an LG still air incubator and I will be turning the eggs by hand. I know hatching is not for the faint of heart but I've read a ton of info on here and Metzer site and hope to at least hatch 2 of the eggs if not more!

I have one question about the humidity though - on Metzer's site it says to keep the humidity for duck eggs at around 86%. I'm having trouble getting my humidity that high. I've filled all of the little trays with water, and even put some little stones in there to keep the heat up but I can't seem to get the humidity past 69%. The temp is perfect and stable - I also have an extra little temp / hygrometer so it's calibrated with my little crappy one that comes with the incubator.

Any tips?

Welcome!! I have that bator and have nothing bad to say about it. I know it gets mixed reviews. Mine is really steady temp-wise.

I don't measure my humidity, just keep two smaller trays full for incubation and then amp it way up for hatch, so I'm no help there. Worked well last time, though. This is only my second round with this incubator so... Good luck to you, though! You will get lots of advice.

Hi all!
frow.gif

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this thread and am hopefully about to start my first incubation tomorrow!! I've ordered 6 buff eggs from Metzer which I will pick up (thankfully only live a few miles from there so saves the stress of shipping them). I have an LG still air incubator and I will be turning the eggs by hand. I know hatching is not for the faint of heart but I've read a ton of info on here and Metzer site and hope to at least hatch 2 of the eggs if not more!

I have one question about the humidity though - on Metzer's site it says to keep the humidity for duck eggs at around 86%. I'm having trouble getting my humidity that high. I've filled all of the little trays with water, and even put some little stones in there to keep the heat up but I can't seem to get the humidity past 69%. The temp is perfect and stable - I also have an extra little temp / hygrometer so it's calibrated with my little crappy one that comes with the incubator.

Any tips?

We didn't use a still air incubator, but when we needed to increase the humidity, we put warm, damp rags in the bator, and that would jack the humidity up. It's worth a try, just do one at a time, till you get it up to where you want it.

I'm getting ready to put some eggs in my bator but I only have one girl laying so I'm just setting the eggs aside until I have about 6 I'm at 3 right now. Should I be turning the eggs or just let them be until they go into my incubator?

Back
Top Bottom