Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

frow.gif
Hi everyone. Hope all is well. I've been busy chatting over on the goose hatching thread, but since I hatched my first ducklings of 2013 yesterday from my own anconas that I hatched last year with the support of this thread, I thought I'd post pics of my new hatchlings.
big_smile.png

Goin- what time did you notice it had tripped? My power went out and it was 12 hrs before we got hold of a generator. Temp got down to about 65*.. I did have one quitter after that and I feel sure that's why but I was pleasantly surprised at his well the rest did!

Am I the only one who loves the way ducks smell?? lol
I love it too, but only when they're clean. I've got to tolerate another week brooding meat chickens and that ruins the nostrils.
GC - so bummed about the bator! I'm sorry!

iluvs - I don't mind the smell of adult ducks outside, but if you love the smell of brooding ducklings, um, you may possibly be in the minority.
sickbyc.gif
It tripped again. I tested that cabinet on the same circuit as one heat lamp, one hovabator 1582, two 4' light ballasts and two plant heat mats for a week with no problems. Only now that I have eggs in it...

I've got the two bators and the heat lamp on an extension cord directly plugged in now. Removed the GFCI thinking it might be defective.
frow.gif
Hi everyone. Hope all is well. I've been busy chatting over on the goose hatching thread, but since I hatched my first ducklings of 2013 yesterday from my own anconas that I hatched last year with the support of this thread, I thought I'd post pics of my new hatchlings.
big_smile.png

Aww. Guess that means my black and white spotted ducklings are magpie if these cuties are anconas.
love.gif
What kind of gosling?
Goin- what time did you notice it had tripped? My power went out and it was 12 hrs before we got hold of a generator. Temp got down to about 65*.. I did have one quitter after that and I feel sure that's why but I was pleasantly surprised at his well the rest did!
It was probably 3 hours before we caught it. And then it did it again. I turned eggs around 5pm and all was well. So may have been 2 hours off. I'm going to go nuts checking every half hour for the rest of the night.
is one of them a goose? :hmm
Looks like it to me.

I've been trying to read through this thread from the start, up to pg 150, hoping to read it all before my hatch day and say hey but just have an emergency. HELP! The light on my bator went off and temp dropped to 25 eggs are cold to touch. I'm on day 20. Not sure how long it had been off. I had them on a warm hot water bottle with my hands over them trying to warm them while bator got back up to heat. It had now so back in but eggs are still cool. Helllppp.what can I do? Is it too late? SM? Miss Lydia? Duck girl? Quackerjack? Anyoneeeee!? I can't loose these babies one of my cats just died :(

Last edited:
Sounds like incubator trouble. I can't really help but if you have a broody hen stick them under her, if you have a heating pad maybe you could put them on it, but make sure they don't get too hot.

No broody hens unfortunately. Hoping they are guna be ok. Thanks for your help. Looked on the metzer site and they said some can survive for 48 hours and still hatch ok so fingers crossed. Put a new bulb in so let's hope that one lasts another week!

Thanks! It is a brown African gosling, who is my first gosling of 2013 (and my next gosling due to hatch tonight). Your new ducklings are adorable too!! It looks like you have a couple anconas mixed in your group. The anconas I just hatched look different because they are lightly marked colored babies that should be lavender and blue as adults. They look just like their daddy when he hatched last year. At the time, I thought I had been sold pekin or some other white duck egg... but he developed the lavender markings as he grew up.

FYI, I have lost power a couple of times during critical times in incubation. Some of the earlier set eggs will quit on me, but the ones that are close to hatching do fine, although the temp drop slows the hatching timeline down. Best of luck that everyone has successful hatches this season!

Back
Top Bottom