Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Quote: i have the same one, took the turner i bought back since they say duck eggs have to be on their sides... and temp is holding pretty good at 99-100 but this humidity is a bear to get up ill try the shelf liner that wire looks like it might be snaggy on little duck feet, also i am assuming that a reptile hydrometer will work the same as a poultry one? humidity is humidity i would think... but guess you never know lol... went to 3 places to find one finally ended up at pet smart... tsc and rural king didnt have any

good advice bakingintherain! i taped around the windows.... qwackers, i put the base of the brooder waterer in there and even taped one side of the incubator itself and now its up to 71.....i'm hoping to at least be able to take the washcloth out i know i'm going to set at least 12 eggs and i need the room! thanks for the words of wisdom!

angie

Last edited:
i have the same one, took the turner i bought back since they say duck eggs have to be on their sides... and temp is holding pretty good at 99-100 but this humidity is a bear to get up ill try the shelf liner that wire looks like it might be snaggy on little duck feet, also i am assuming that a reptile hydrometer will work the same as a poultry one? humidity is humidity i would think... but guess you never know lol... went to 3 places to find one finally ended up at pet smart... tsc and rural king didnt have any

Glad you know you can get your humidity up now, phew! Yeah I used a thermometer and hydrometer meant for reptiles, all does the same thing.
When will you be setting your Eggies?

Quote: hopefully thursday... they are being shipped so poor guys are behind the 8 ball from the get-go. i have read so many posts that have different humidity levels, temp levels and I'm pulling my hair out!!!! i guess I'll go 50-55% humidity and keep a close eye on my air cells until lockdown with temp at 100 since i have a still air incubator. i wish there were a set list of rules to follow!!!!!

15 call duck eggs just arrived!!! none broken.... all checked and placed in cartons to rest and warm up!!!! soooooo excited!!!!! 6 hour rest enough or do i put them in after 12 and up to 24??? omgosh i can barely sit still!!!! no wonder my friends think im crazy!!

So, we question- - when Momma had the babies that did hatch with her, she was rarely on the next, periodically through the day, then she'd sit on it at night (it is in the 90's here during the day, not sure if its so hot she doesn't need to sit), we removed the babies that did hatch- - and now she's back to sitting on the nest more often- -how long to wait until we remove the eggs? We have been reading a lot of info, that it may go over a bigger spand because she starting sitting immediately instead of after she laid most of the eggs? Its her first time laying and our first time with babies! Just trying to figure out how long to give it until we determine nothing is going to happen with these last eggs. We did candle before and out of 11, 10 had growth, 3 babes hatched, one died, so we have 2 live.

Thoughts on how long to wait before egg removal? How can I tell if the baby has already died and I should just remove the egg? Thanks for help!

Back
Top Bottom