Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

day 12 i candled today...... air cells seem a bit big, on some eggs but not all and i have several saddle cells and some even on the side of the egg or more on the side than the top...i've been keeping my humidity 50% most of the time and 55% occasionally, so i am trying to up it since some of the cells seem large, i still see movement in about 3/4 of them.

Ok we're all good to go, we're ready for hatching.  I really really don't want to lose another.  I just don't know why they hatched so early? Fingers crossed for the little babes.

Yup good going with the towel underneath and mist it every now and then. I'm excited for you, the worst is nearly over! Yayyy! :-D. Sometimes they do hatch early just like mine were really late. But they will be running around and pooping in no time!

day 12 i candled today...... air cells seem a bit big, on some eggs but not all and i have several saddle cells and some even on the side of the egg or more on the side than the top...i've been keeping my humidity 50% most of the time and 55% occasionally, so i am trying to up it since some of the cells seem large, i still see movement in about 3/4 of them.

What are saddle cells?! Yeah if the cells are getting big already up the humidity abit. Have you seen that diagram that shows you air cell progress? It's pretty helpful.

Quote: saddle cell is where the air cell is high at the top of the egg but goes down both sides so when u candle it looks a bit like a horses saddle...and i have that diagram printed and taped to the wall above the incubator, but my cells are funky, usps must have really shaken them around during shipping

Ohh ok that makes sense. I learnt something today already! Did you rest them before putting them in yeah? I hope they'll be ok. Poor duckies. At least some are still moving though.

Yup good going with the towel underneath and mist it every now and then. I'm excited for you, the worst is nearly over! Yayyy! :-D. Sometimes they do hatch early just like mine were really late. But they will be running around and pooping in no time!

I hope so! Humidity is still 80% in there - should I lower it to 65 and keep misting or keep it cranked up? I still hear some cheeping now and then but they seem to have slowed down a bit, I'm hoping it's because of all the movement and changes and they're just soaking it up

Ohh ok that makes sense. I learnt something today already! Did you rest them before putting them in yeah? I hope they'll be ok. Poor duckies. At least some are still moving though.
i did rest them, but only about 10 hours, since they were shipped i wasn't sure of how old they were (and i was excited about getting them started...if i'm honest) and most of the floating air cells are gone already...blood rings and such. but i've been reading a lot on different threads about lockdown.... i was assuming it was day 23 for calls...is that right?? humidity is up between 55% and 60% now, and 3 thermometers tell me temp is 99.5-101.4....all over the place, but two are on top of the eggs (101.4 & 100.5) and 1 is in the middle (99.5) please lord, let me be not be responsible for murdering baby ducks!!! next time i will find someone in indiana with eggs and go pick them up myself!.... you have been so helpful qwackers, thank you so much! and you give great moral support too!

Aw thanks, I don't think I've done anything really! I'm not sure about lock down for calls. But that's about the same as normal ducks. At least in a horrible way the dodgy cells are on the goners. So how many good ones do you think you have left?

Hi all
frow.gif
-

It's great to see such a community of supportive people!
clap.gif
I must say I've learned sooo much from everyone on BYC. Lockdown began yesterday and I haven't seen a pip or any rocking. I did notice that two of my eggs look like there is some sort of discoloration on the shell.
hu.gif
I'm worried because the last time I saw this "bruising," the duckling did not make it (it was about Day 15 or 16). My colleague and friend had one duckling hatch today and it was an amazing thing to see and so wonderful to hear the little peeps but I'm so worried that somewhere along the line I've done something incorrect.

The temperature has been consistent and the humidity has been increased since yesterday lockdown (I began lockdown at about 7:30am). Before lockdown all 6 were active and moving. How do I know if they are okay?
hmm.png

Thanks.

Jen

Back
Top Bottom