Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

What a smartie pants!!   I have small little bin for their pool.  I considered putting just enough water that they can kick their feet but stand as soon as they get tired.  Although I don't know how high that'd be... Or will that not work?
[/quote]

Yeh that would work. I normally run the water with them in it that way you can judge the depth. If your running hot in too then keep swishing it and keep them away from the hot tap! It needs to be just so they can stand but if you swish it with your hand they bob around abit. Mine seem to prefer it when it's not totally out of their depth as they then have the floor of the bath to push against when they propel themselves into a ducky dive! And if they want to swim they just lift their legs up. Have fun!

Last edited:
LOL sorry easier to keep track of my goose eggs !

A Fritter goose ~ Utah named her Goose "Beignet" (I could never pronounce it or spell it
lau.gif
)

So she sent me pics (hope you don't mind)

So as a butt she sent me an email ~

Beignet (English pronunciation: /bɛnˈjeɪ/; French: [bɛɲɛ], literally bump),[1] synonymous with the English “fritter”, is the French term for a pastry made from deep-fried choux paste.[2] Beignets are commonly known in the U.S. as a dessert served with powdered sugar on top; however, they may be savory dishes as well and may contain meat, vegetables, or fruits.[2] They are traditionally prepared right before consumption to be eaten fresh and hot. Variations of fried dough can be found across cuisines internationally; however, the origin of the term beignet is specifically French. In the U.S., beignets have been popular within New Orleans Creole cuisine and are customarily served as a dessert or in some sweet variation. They were brought to Louisiana in the 18th century by French colonists,[3] from “the old mother country”,[4] and became a large part of home-style Creole cooking, variations often including banana or plantain – popular fruits in the port city.[5][6] Today, Café du Monde is a popular New Orleans food destination specializing in beignets with powdered sugar (served in threes), coffee with chicory, and café au lait.[7] Beignets were declared the official state doughnut of Louisiana in 1986.[8]

~~~

So my reply was ~ Oh their FRITTER EGGS !
gig.gif

I run the same humidty, with all my eggs, but my bator gets up to temp REALLY fast. So I do not recommend it for everyone
Lol, ok, fritter eggs makes sense now.
lau.gif

Yup, that is how she got the nickname Fritter.
big_smile.png
I got her to mate with my production Toulouse gander named Chicory and I have fond memories of having chicory coffee and beignets at Café Du Monde.
wink.png
She's gorgeous. Love the name story.
I use seperate hatchers. :)
I don't know how common it is to hatch for a farm and then return the babies. I know there are people on Craigslist here that offer hatching services. I do special hatches for friends and of course, my boss who has enabled me way too much!
Great story about Fritter!

I've got exciting news: I have a Saxony egg pipped from shipped eggs I thought were toast. That said, it's wrong-way. Darn messed-up air cells!
Yay saxony!

I had another gosling hatch this morning. A boy I believe, my goose eggs seem to be hatching in pairs oddly enough. And my first 3rd generation raised here call egg hatched yesterday. Poor little thing had a rough time of it, but is scooting around the incubator now and snuggling up to the gosling who is still fluffing up. Duckling looks gray pied, my favorite, yay. I think I'll be keeping the colored pied babies and ancona colored ones, and selling the remaining magpie pair I have and any magpie babies I hatch. I lost my blue magpie girl a few days ago
sad.png
, and was planning on replacing my drake anyway, so nows as good a time as any.

Lol, ok, fritter eggs makes sense now.
lau.gif

She's gorgeous. Love the name story.
Yay saxony!
I now have two Saxony eggs pipped. One chicken egg (random) and two Pilgrim geese for my friend.

I'm waiting on an appointment, they should have been here at 1, called at 1:15 and they live 10 minutes away max. Really, could they not find a box to put their birds in?

Hubs was going to take me to the hardware store to pick out my Mothers day gift...
caf.gif

Hi Julie and Quackers.
frow.gif
Thanks for the compliments on my girl. She's as sweet as the pastry she is named after. Glad to see you guys are having great hatches! Hope everything else is going well, too. I haven't set any duck eggs in a while, but I've been hatching goslings every week. I also have my 1st set of chicken eggs supposed to hatch next week, which I set for my friend as she wanted babies from her hens.

day 17... still have 11 live babies, but one has a free rolling air cell, he looks a little smaller than the others....should i remove him and just let him go? i feel like death that way would be way better than drowning if he can't get to the air cell. do free rolling air cell eggs ever hatch? also, i keep moving the eggs around since i have a still air bator, but some seem behind by several days and some air cells are smaller than others and i've decreased my humidity yet again... trying for 40 to 45%. i swear at this point i will never do this again....i'm a nervous wreck!!

Last edited:
I now have two Saxony eggs pipped. One chicken egg (random) and two Pilgrim geese for my friend.

I'm waiting on an appointment, they should have been here at 1, called at 1:15 and they live 10 minutes away max. Really, could they not find a box to put their birds in?

Hubs was going to take me to the hardware store to pick out my Mothers day gift...
caf.gif
The thing I hate most about hatching is selling the babies, I think. And not because I will miss them, although sometimes that sure is the case, but because of the people, lol. Late, no shows, wanting you to drive 2 hours to meet them with a free rooster, etc.
he.gif

Hi Julie and Quackers.
frow.gif
Thanks for the compliments on my girl. She's as sweet as the pastry she is named after. Glad to see you guys are having great hatches! Hope everything else is going well, too. I haven't set any duck eggs in a while, but I've been hatching goslings every week. I also have my 1st set of chicken eggs supposed to hatch next week, which I set for my friend as she wanted babies from her hens.
frow.gif
I bet you are hatching goslings with all those beautiful geese of yours! Hoping for one that looks like your Fritter from my goslings.
fl.gif
I love my pretty white girl, but think it would be nice to have another color out there for some variety, lol.

day 17... still have 11 live babies, but one has a free rolling air cell, he looks a little smaller than the others....should i remove him and just let him go? i feel like death that way would be way better than drowning if he can't get to the air cell. do free rolling air cell eggs ever hatch? also, i keep moving the eggs around since i have a still air bator, but some seem behind by several days and some air cells are smaller than others and i've decreased my humidity yet again... trying for 40 to 45%. i swear at this point i will never do this again....i'm a nervous wreck!!
Sometimes they just appear smaller if they are in a weird position in there from the air cell. I don't usually have problems with them not hatching due to air cells, if they are going to not hatch due to a funky air cell they'll quit well before lockdown ime.

thanks julie, that makes me feel a little better, i guess i need to think of them as embryos and not baby ducks, but it so HARD!! and i keep reading about the horrors of shipped eggs, air freighted and x-rayed eggs.... maybe i need to stop reading?? ok.... (breathe).....i'm done now.... thanks guys, i appreciate all your patience with a newby!

The thing I hate most about hatching is selling the babies, I think. And not because I will miss them, although sometimes that sure is the case, but because of the people, lol. Late, no shows, wanting you to drive 2 hours to meet them with a free rooster, etc.
he.gif

frow.gif
I bet you are hatching goslings with all those beautiful geese of yours! Hoping for one that looks like your Fritter from my goslings.
fl.gif
I love my pretty white girl, but think it would be nice to have another color out there for some variety, lol.

Sometimes they just appear smaller if they are in a weird position in there from the air cell. I don't usually have problems with them not hatching due to air cells, if they are going to not hatch due to a funky air cell they'll quit well before lockdown ime.

Thanks! My girls have been very productive this year. Between Jasmine and myself, we've hatched quite a few with plenty more cooking. Hope you get some color! I really wanted to hatch a white African gosling girl, but so far only brown and a light brown/white splash. At least they are girls.

he.gif

frow.gif
fl.gif

I totally get hating the selling factor. So, they had car trouble and showed up soon after I whined about them not being here. Made a $32 sale, so not going to complain. Then the family with the 7 kids came and bought a chick for each kid.

I got plants and potting soil for mothers day. Not exactly a luxury gift, but I had fun transplanting them into the garden today.
thanks julie, that makes me feel a little better, i guess i need to think of them as embryos and not baby ducks, but it so HARD!! and i keep reading about the horrors of shipped eggs, air freighted and x-rayed eggs.... maybe i need to stop reading?? ok.... (breathe).....i'm done now.... thanks guys, i appreciate all your patience with a newby!
It took me many hatches in order to finally learn to not get too emotionally invested in them until they hatched. If I lose a hatchling, I still cry like a little girl.
Thanks! My girls have been very productive this year. Between Jasmine and myself, we've hatched quite a few with plenty more cooking. Hope you get some color! I really wanted to hatch a white African gosling girl, but so far only brown and a light brown/white splash. At least they are girls.
You give me goose egg envy.
Hi girls!!!!

So cool to see my friends! Hey Julia, iain, and GQ!

I have babies coming out of my ears, more or less. Lots of goslings from the bators, plus 3 goosie girls on nests, plus my ancona girl is on a nest, and I'm hatching out lots of Javas and some BCMs.
woot.gif
Marty!!!!

I've got quite a few birdies and quite a few full bators. Waiting on some shipped Saxony eggs to pop, a few Pilgrim goose eggs for a friend and a couple random chicks from free eggs.

Good to see some of the regulars popping in!

Back
Top Bottom