Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Question. I have already hatched one of my Pekin ducks out. The little guy practically catapulted out of his shell yesterday around 1 in the afternoon (2 days early) My other 8 eggs in the incubator have not internally pipped yet. I candled a couple last night and I couldn't see movement inside. They have, however, rubbed the membrane off of the inside of the shell right under the air cell. (When I say rubbed off, I mean the shell looks more opaque, but from the inside). Should I start worrying yet?? They still have one more day before they are supposed to hatch (Sunday night was when I planned).
Huh. That is strange. That opaque look usually comes above the membrane, as you probably know. I'm not sure what I'd do,, never had that prOblem. But I also wouldn't think they'd have room to hatch like that..

Thanks for replying Car. This is my first hatch, so I'm a bit distraught. This is what the several of the eggs look like. The lowest pencil line is where the air cell is and that opaqueness is right below it. I still can't see any movement in the egg. Anybody know what's going on?

Is that a purple/blue staining on egg just below aircell line? If so, the baby probably tried to internal/external pip below aircell and hit a vein. If it appears to have stopped trying it may have not made it. Sometimes, if you are careful and attempt to open egg where the staining is to free beak you can save the baby. But it is really hard to do and usually results in losing baby anyway.

Well, we've got 5 pips, and one almost out! I took the first pic, and he was out a few seconds later, so I took another.

celebrate.gif

Ducklings had their first day outside. The "enclosure" was a bit small, but it was all I could do on short notice. But at least they got to be outside, on grass, and do a bit of grazing.

Thanks for replying Car. This is my first hatch, so I'm a bit distraught. This is what the several of the eggs look like. The lowest pencil line is where the air cell is and that opaqueness is right below it. I still can't see any movement in the egg. Anybody know what's going on?

I also think that its a possibility that it tried to pip in that spot maybe. Im sorry i dont have a better explanation but in my last hatch I had 3 that didn't make it and they had similar marks and i also couldnt see movement. It's hard to say without making a small viewing hole, which is what I did and found that they had shrink wrapped. Hopefully yours just started pipping there and decided to take a rest. How long ago did you notice that spot?

Update on hatch, I got 8 or 12 ( one infertile, one passed after it got its head free for some reason, and 2 tried wrong way pipping and pipped through yolk sac) my last one pushed his/her way out at about noon today :) they all are happy and running around and sleeping

Update on hatch, I got 8 or 12 ( one infertile, one passed after it got its head free for some reason, and 2 tried wrong way pipping and pipped through yolk sac) my last one pushed his/her way out at about noon today
smile.png
they all are happy and running around and sleeping
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom