Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Hey SM!
hugs.gif

SM, sorry for your loss. Too bad you are not hatching, but you can still come to chat on thread more often.

Marty, 4 out but 2 may not have survived the hatch?
fl.gif
they are all ok! Pics???

Is that a purple/blue staining on egg just below aircell line? If so, the baby probably tried to internal/external pip below aircell and hit a vein. If it appears to have stopped trying it may have not made it. Sometimes, if you are careful and attempt to open egg where the staining is to free beak you can save the baby. But it is really hard to do and usually results in losing baby anyway.
It's not purple or blue. It just looks like somebody scratched the inside lining of the egg off. I hope it's still alive.
I also think that its a possibility that it tried to pip in that spot maybe. Im sorry i dont have a better explanation but in my last hatch I had 3 that didn't make it and they had similar marks and i also couldnt see movement. It's hard to say without making a small viewing hole, which is what I did and found that they had shrink wrapped. Hopefully yours just started pipping there and decided to take a rest. How long ago did you notice that spot?
Bellah, I noticed the marks yesterday I believe, right after my first duck hatched. Should I open one up? I just candled and I really can't see any movement in the three eggs with spots like this.

I have shipped cayuga duck eggs on day 32. I candled again yesterday (before giving up on the hatch) and saw movement in 7. Not sure on 1. We use a little giant still air. Had an auto turner that we took out a few days before day 28. Temp has been right about 99.5 based on the therm it came with. Let the temp go down a little for the hatch. The post office was rough with the box. Several of the eggs were broken when I got them. I don't know what to think now after seeing a little movement. I took out all of the ones that never developed. Could my therm. be off and maybe it ran lower and so they just aren't done yet? Or could the rough shipping make the hatch slower. I have d'uccle eggs coming on Tues that I want to start this week with some of our own silkie eggs. But can't start the until these ducks finish.

Anyone ever have ducks take this long and actually hatch?

Back
Top Bottom