Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Hi,

I have 2 lovely Cayuga ducklings hatch yesterday afternoon/evening and both have done well overnight (it is now Sunday morning here).

I still have one egg remaining to hatch and it has pipped overnight - Yay!!!
celebrate.gif
However the pip is in the middle of the shell not in the top unless the air sack reaches down that far. I'm just best off watching at the moment aren't I?

With the other 2 moving round they have moved the egg several times - shall I just leave them in there? I don't really want to open the incubator with the other egg now externally pipped.

I suppose the question is how long can I leave the babies in there, should I leave them in there or remove them?

If this egg takes a similar amount of time to hatch as the other 2 they will need to be in there for another 24hours, one has been in there for nearly 18 hours already.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

thanks
Jo

Last edited:
Hi,

I have 2 lovely Cayuga ducklings hatch yesterday afternoon/evening and both have done well overnight (it is now Sunday morning here).

I still have one egg remaining to hatch and it has pipped overnight - Yay!!!  :celebrate However the pip is in the middle of the shell not in the top unless the air sack reaches down that far.  I'm just best off watching at the moment aren't I?

With the other 2 moving round they have moved the egg several times - shall I just leave them in there?  I don't really want to open the incubator with the other egg now externally pipped.

I suppose the question is how long can I leave the babies in there, should I leave them in there or remove them? 

If this egg takes a similar amount of time to hatch as the other 2 they will need to be in there for another 24hours, one has been in there for nearly 18 hours already.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

thanks
Jo

Most take them out when they are dried off! But they can actually help make the other one want too hatch so it's ur call!

Thanks for getting back so quickly - I'll get them set up in their new home this morning.

If I mist the other egg and get the humidity back up will that be enough to hopefully stop the membrane drying out?

I leave them in and it seems that the chirping of the hatched ones help the other ones come out. Once they are all hatched then I remove them.

I had three Cayuga hatch about 3 weeks ago now. Unfortunately, one died the next day :( the other two are doing great and are getting really big now. Believe it or not they are about half the same size of my Rhode Island Reds that about 10 weeks old now. I can't believe how fast they are growing. I have no doubt that in a month they'll probably be bigger than they will be. I love them they are so awesome.

My next hatch is going to be Swedish Ducks. Can't wait to get them.

Last edited:
I leave them in and it seems that the chirping of the hatched ones help the other ones come out. Once they are all hatched then I remove them.

I had three Cayuga hatch about 3 weeks ago now. Unfortunately, one died the next day :( the other two are doing great and are getting really big now. Believe it or not they are about half the same size of my Rhode Island Reds that about 10 weeks old now. I can't believe how fast they are growing. I have no doubt that in a month they'll probably be bigger than they will be. I love them they are so awesome.

My next hatch is going to be Swedish Ducks. Can't wait to get them.

I agree I personally keep them in also but most take them out! I think they help each other out!

You're right in your post though. I do take them out once they are dried off. It's usually around day 2 of when they hatched, then I get the brooder ready with food and all so I can move them over. But I won't take them out unless they are all hatched and dried.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom