Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

I got my flock of 4H mottled Javas in the mail yesteray! They are heavy birds for sure! I also got my APA guide today, and my Javas are pretty good, definately something I can work with. Good squar shapes, correct feet and eye colors, 2 or 3 roos have good comps, and one is a great Java overall, and he will be the full time flock master. The hens are all bright eyes, with excellent colors, and good open rear feathering. I have 10 Javas now.
woot.gif

My sweet Husband, who is still unhappy about his fence failing in one area and allowing attackers in, and building me a real chicken coop with a run under the house, and a from yard. He's even putting on big heavy tires so we can push it around if we want too! Its so cute, he's modify a byc coop design to use the recycled material we've got stored in the barn. The wood used to be a balcony, but now its a hen house and frame! He's making "dang sure" (paraphrased) that NOTHING can get in, not even us I think. LOL
ya.gif
Can't wait to see pics, of new chickens and new chicken house.
So far I'm only reading about birds I own. While interesting, it hasn't exactly helped me stay awake.
lau.gif
Same here.

frow.gif
morning all............. woke to a chill in the air so had to bake a chocolate cake from scratch. now the house is warm and smells good.

How was everyones weekend? Any black Friday brave shoppers?

frow.gif
morning all............. woke to a chill in the air so had to bake a chocolate cake from scratch. now the house is warm and smells good.

How was everyones weekend? Any black Friday brave shoppers?
No black Friday shopping for me. I stay far away, lol.
Made cinammon rolls here, but not from scratch, lol. I'm tired of cooking for the moment.
wink.png
I'm trying to get my Christmas decorations drug out this week. We got our outside ones up a week ago, while the weather was still nice. I don't know if I ever posted a pic of my new "geese" here, so I'll post one, lol.

No black Friday shopping for me. I stay far away, lol.
Made cinammon rolls here, but not from scratch, lol. I'm tired of cooking for the moment.
wink.png
I'm trying to get my Christmas decorations drug out this week. We got our outside ones up a week ago, while the weather was still nice. I don't know if I ever posted a pic of my new "geese" here, so I'll post one, lol.

So cute
love.gif

Hi two of my three ducks have hatched so far ,any one know why I'd find poo in the bottom of the shell? Is it like when babies get stressed in utero and poo,
Just waiting on the last one

Hi two of my three ducks have hatched so far ,any one know why I'd find poo in the bottom of the shell? Is it like when babies get stressed in utero and poo,
Just waiting on the last one
There's usually a little gunk in the bottom of mine when they hatch. More if I overdid the humidity it seems. Pretty normal in my experience though. I think it's because the ducks sit so long in there after internal pip before they are fully hatched.

At what point, if any, do you decide not to breed those that have needed help hatching.
I think it was in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks that I read what I think is the most logical and practical approach to this. Essentially, he said to keep track of who was an assisted hatch and if they turn out to be an exceptional bird, go ahead and breed them. The reason being that we as humans may have made errors in our incubation technique which could have caused the hatching problem to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom