Three day old weak chick not eating. Drinking a little.

nannaZanna

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2015
I received 4 babies in the mail yesterday. Three died in transit. Lone little girl survivor is tired and weak. I've been reading threads on byc since yesterday. I have been giving her Nutri Drench diluted per instructions since last night. She only took two sips at a time throughout last evening. This morning she took 5-7 sips three times in 6 hours. I've tried milky scrambled eggs with her wet food mixed. She does not want to eat. She only drinks. She sleeps alot. Because she is a lone survivor I've put her in a thin scarf around my neck for the night and today she's been under my shirt directly on my skin where it is warm. She does quiet down when she is toasty warm. We just took a two hour nap and I was worried about her sleeping alot without getting enough nutrients. Since she only drinks vitamins, very little at that, will this be too many vitamins for her or should I also give water every other time? Also, do I wake her to feed her even though she wants to sleep and not drink? She does seem stronger but very little and slow progress.

Welcome to BYC. If you have the NutriDrench diluted in the water according to instructions, she won't take too much vitamins. You can, however give the ND directly into the beak, and give her plain water. Since she is an only chick, I would either get a couple more chicks locally. You can put a small mirror and a fuzzy toy in with the chick in the brooder. Shipping stress can be tough on chicks, and right now she needs fluids more than food. Make sure that she is not got a plugged vent from stuck on poop. When she is back in her brooder with heat, put down some paper towels and sprinkle chick crumbles around her feet and tap at them to coax her to start eating. I hope she can survive.

Back
Top Bottom