Three pullets ... I hope

Here you go Kev. Best photos I could get, they are not use to me and are a bit skittish of their coop. They are used to being outside. On the Americauna, I asked him if it was like an EE. He said yes exactly. *shrugs* She's a pretty bird either way.

Again, this person is either woefully uninformed about chickens and should get out of the business or he simply doesn't care to learn or worse, doesn't care to speak the truth. This is not a business man with whom you want to have dealings, if all this is evidence.

The Red is poorer than hatchery grade and certainly not a Heritage Rhode Island Red.

As long as you're not planning on showing, you'll be fine. The brown leghorn will lay white eggs and the other 2 will lay brown eggs. I have one brown leghorn and she lays "okay" during laying season with the occasional egg during the winter months. I don't have any RIRs but I do have a couple of what's referred to as Cherry Eggers (RIR/NHR mix) that are okay layers as well. My Australorps, on the other hand, are laying machines (even during the winter months). I'd put a little "original" neosporin on the brown leghorn's comb as she looks to have a little bit of frostbite. Good luck.

Yeah your red looks mixed for sure - but don't worry, she will most likely lay better than a heritage, though not for as many years. My red mixes are the friendliest of my bunch, they will jump in your lap. :)

Anyone else see white ears on the "Australorp"? None of these are what you were told. Fingers crossed that they are at least good layers.

You are correct the Loupe-mix has white ears. My wife and I just noticed that as we were putting some neosporin on her comb. Looked like she had a bit of frostbite. So yah I have three mixed breeds. As long as they are gentle and good layers that is all that matters. Next round will be better.

I just looked up some images of a brown leghorn. The first one is a dead ringer for a brown leghorn, floppy comb and white ears, but she is probably a mix as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom