Through the Seasons at the Chicken Asylum Pictorial (pic heavy)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Was going through my albums and love all the pics of our place around the different seasons. We'll miss our scenery when we move (place is up for sale *see sig line*-We've decided to try to sell due to health considerations, among other things), but we have loved living here and will have new scenery to appreciate. We can see mountains in two states in winter, but in summer, we are in a leafy cocoon and completely private. It's been nice making this place better than it was when we came here nine years ago. It was sold as an estate and had been vacant for months, so was basically an overgrown jungle. We didn't even know what was here till we began hacking away at the wilderness-then we found blueberries and a cherry tree and a wild plum tree, etc. We've added three outbuildings, more fruit trees, a nice garden area, fencing, etc. It's been a nice place to hang away from the world.

Starting with Spring into Summer:
DCP_1666.jpg

DCP_3429.jpg

DCP_5157.jpg

DCP_5064.jpg

DCP_2505.jpg

DCP_2484.jpg

DCP_1119.jpg

DCP_0917.jpg

DSCN1940.jpg

Fall into Winter:

DSCN2501.jpg

DCP_4755.jpg

DCP_4892.jpg

DCP_2110.jpg

DCP_2195.jpg

DCP_4880.jpg

DCP_1584.jpg

DCP_1635.jpg

DCP_4480.jpg

I love your place. It is so beautiful whatever the season. I understand completely that age and health can determine where we live. We are finding that although we have the zeal for country living, we don't have the muscle and stamina that we once had. As you say, though, there are new adventures left. But...aging still sucks!!
hmm.png

Sure does make things harder every year, this darn aging thing! The only issues here are that there are a few steps to get up into the house-it's a ranch on a basement, but raised up, hence the steps. And the land is, of course, mountain land, so after you leave the immediate house and garden area, it slopes off some on all sides. Upside to that is that this place will never be flooded-drains super well! The downside is that, after breaking my ankle (which will never be the same) and my DH's degenerative disc disease progressing, it's harder to maintain. We need to move to a more pasture-like piece of property so he can just sit on a mower and ride to cut grass and no down the hill trips in winter, etc. It's not steep at all here, but our footing is not as sure as it once was. I will miss my mountains terribly. I can see Watson and Piney mountains in GA and Vance Mtn in NC from my deck and the nights cool down a lot in summer at our elevation (just under 2000 ft).

oooo....I remember the roses!!!

Sorry you have to say goodbye but I'm sure you'll find a new place to cherish and build beautiful memories.

...because of a nasty divorce...i'm being forced to sell my childhood home and it's been on the market now since June. Very sad indeed...it's been in our family before I was born.

Love your porch - love your place. I too can foresee the time when we will be forced by age to leave a place that I truly love.
sad.png

Quote:
I'm really sorry about that, Gretchen. Life's only certainty is change.

Amen. Reminds me of the Quincy Jones song, "Everything must change."

Back
Top Bottom