Ticks?

stephaaras

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2016
New York
Will ducks eat ticks, or other insects from the yard? I have read some places that they will, but other places I have read they won't... So from personal experience, are they any help in ridding your yard of ticks?
I know that guinea hens are good for insect control, but I have no interest in raising them. I had ducks growing up, and am interested in possibly getting back into them - however, the property I have just moved to appears to have a lot more ticks than where I have previously lived. I don't want to spray or sprinkle my yard with chemicals as I have dogs who are always outdoors, so if ducks are an option to rid my yard of ticks I think I may reintroduce them to my property sooner than planned.

If ducks will eat ticks, which breed would be the best for this? I have heard Pekins will, but I'm not sure if this is true?
Thank you.

Thank you, I will look into them.
If it doesn't end up working out I may get both guineas and ducks. At least this way I'll still get to have my ducks.

That seems to be what I hear most. I did more research on muscovies with ticks, and I have seen mixed reviews about them eating them. I have seen that they will, but not in a way that is effective to actually get rid of them.
I will probably end up picking up a few guineas in this case, because I'd rather have a tick free yard for my dogs.
This way I can go with a different breed of ducks anyway, as I prefer the Campbell's.

I am almost 100% certain that they will indeed eat flies. The ducks I owned did, and I'm fairly certain it wasn't exclusive to their breed.

I have actually decided on chickens after tons of research. I wanted a change of pace. I would have been dedicated to guineas if I had chosen them, but the interest just wasn't really there.
I have decided chickens because I know they will eat ticks, and I would also like fresh eggs.
I will probably eventually go back to ducks though.

I have actually decided on chickens after tons of research. I wanted a change of pace. I would have been dedicated to guineas if I had chosen them, but the interest just wasn't really there.
I have decided chickens because I know they will eat ticks, and I would also like fresh eggs.
I will probably eventually go back to ducks though.

now which breed? and which variety within the breed?

Back
Top Bottom