Time change

Aug 28, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
The inner clock. I notice my chickens put themselves up between 6:30-6:45 pm. I go out and then shut the door. My question is when we set the clock back on Nov 1st. Example from 6:30 pm to 5:30pm does the chickens inner clock go into the coop at 5:30 now or still about 6:30. Or is it a light thing. When it starts to get dark pre-dusk they go in?

I sit her some times and think of odd things.

Chickens can't tell time. They operate purely by light.

I currently have my time offset 30 minutes on my auto door in anticipation of changing it over when time changes. Chickens have never asked me why the time is off on it.
I set my auto door to coinside with sunrise and sunset times

I set my auto door to coinside with sunrise and sunset times

I don't, and it's deliberate. One of the reasons I chose a timer over a light sensor. If they stay in the coop they stay quieter, and they're used to that being the routine anyhow. Regardless if it's winter or summer, my auto door always opens at 7:45 AM.

I don't, and it's deliberate. One of the reasons I chose a timer over a light sensor. If they stay in the coop they stay quieter, and they're used to that being the routine anyhow. Regardless if it's winter or summer, my auto door always opens at 7:45 AM.
I set my timer for around the time the sun comes up and when it goes down. They are always in on their own when the sun goes down and ready to come out when the sun comes up so I just go with the natural flow. My coop is just for sleeping in and laying eggs so when they wake up they are ready to get out.

Back
Top Bottom