Time to change zoning laws in Baltimore county MD

Calling all residents of Baltimore County, Maryland!

After years of being ignored by our elected County Council, it now appears that we may at long last have an opportunity to get these backyard chicken restrictions removed. The County Council is considering a bill that would require the Planning Board to study the entire range of livestock restrictions in residential areas, in light of recent changes in numerous other jurisdictions, and make recommendations. The three co-sponsors of this legislation are generally in favor of backyard poultry, and with a seven-person Council, that means only one more vote would be needed to get a much-needed change to the restrictions.

This legislation is Resolution 73-13, and can be viewed here.

Baltimore County residents can do FOUR things to help make this change a reality:

FIRST: Immediately contact your County Council representative, and let them know you support this legislation, because you believe that the current prohibition against backyard poultry is not justified, and would like to see it repealed or revised. Not sure who your Council rep is? Go here and enter your address, then click here to find your rep’s email address and phone number. This is the most important action you can take. Tell them you want to know what their position is, and will expect them to follow up with you based on the outcome of the Planning Board report. Regardless of their position, it will make a big impression on them that you cared enough to take the time to contact them.

SECOND: If possible, come to the Council work session on this bill on Tuesday, August 22, at 2:00 pm, at 400 Washington Ave., Second Floor, in Towson, MD. It would be great to have 5-10 people from across the county speak for 2 or 3 minutes each. But we would also like to have many more supporters just show up, so that when we ask for a show of hands by district, we can demonstrate that there are many supporters. This is early in the process, so we don’t want to look like a bunch of crazies, but do want to show that we are articulate, intelligent, and have broad support. I doubt there are many opponents of the bill who will bother to show up.

THIRD: Go to the Facebook page “Change the zoning laws in Baltimore Co. for chickens and small livestock” to stay current on this and related issues.

FOURTH: Spread the word – get your neighbors and friends from all parts of Baltimore County to help by taking these four steps themselves.

Hi, I am in Southern York County, just over the Baltimore County line. and I am having issues in New Freedom Borough about my hens. I have a lot over MD folks in the Facebook group I started. It is called Backyard Chickens in New Freedom Borough. I have met a lot of council member who tend to control everything, have overheard threats about what they could do if I don't stop rallying this cause, and been blatantly lied to about having to pay in order to propose changes in zoning. Please check the group out. If you have issues joining let me know. I just set it up yesterday and not sure of any glitches. You can also email me if you'd like at [email protected]

Good luck! This is a good fight to have now, the changes we make will positively impact generations to come!
~Erin

The Planning Board for Baltimore County is holding a Community Input Meeting to determine if they will recommend changing the zoning in Baltimore County, Maryland to allow chickens. PLEASE if you live here, come out and support this change at the meeting:

The meeting will be on Thursday March 20th at 6:00 p.m in the Jefferson Building Hearing Room located at 105 W. Chesapeake Ave, Suite 104 Towson, MD 21204.

Everyone will have 2 minutes to speak and there will be a speaker sign-up sheet located in the Hearing Room, where people can sign up to speak before the meeting.

Also, please bring any hard copy documentation and or information that you might have to the hearing, we will be happy to receive it.

Please help spread the word about this meeting to all of your contacts and or any interested parties that you are aware of. We will be advertising it in our Planning's Pages e-news letter. If you would like to subscribe you can use this link.
http://baltimorecountymd.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=f7a86a75151387581c5a2fa19&id=b11b4b0176

Don T. Zeigler
Planner
Baltimore County Department of Planning
Jefferson Building
105 W. Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 101
Towson, Maryland 21204
Phone: 410.887.3480

CONNECT WITH BALTIMORE COUNTY

www.baltimorecountymd.gov

THERE IS A HEARING REGARDING BACKYARD CHICKENS IN BALTIMORE COUNTY!!!! PLEASE CONSIDER ATTENDING!!!

Pasturing and Stabling of Livestock – Public Input Meeting

A community input meeting is being held on Thursday, March 20, at 6 p.m. in Room 104, Jefferson Building, 105 W. Chesapeake Avenue in Towson, to gain input on the non-commercial raising and keeping of livestock, fowl or poultry on residential lots less than one acre, Council Resolution 73-13.
Please bring a written copy of your testimony to the hearing. Two minutes will be given to each speaker.
Information: Contact Jessie Bialek at [email protected] or 410-887-3480

Back
Top Bottom