Time to Euthanize..??.. need moral support and advice...

When the vet isn't an option what I have found safest (for all involved) is either a pair of very good hand pruning shears (I like having more leverage than the kitchen scissors I have) or for adults a sharp pair of pruning loppers. That way I am not swinging sharp blades while I am distressed and not necessarily safe or accurate. Just make sure to use good quality tools that are sharp and sturdy. The first time I made the horrible mistake of trying a set of cheap shears instead of my best ones. Never doing that again! I actually have a set of loppers that I just use for that so I can be sure they are sharp and quick.

I have heard the freezer method before but frankly, I don't think it is as humane as a one stroke beheading. Maybe it's because I'm such a southern baby that I hate the cold, but the idea of shivering for a while, struggling against whatever you are wrapped up in, until the cold finally gets you, just doesn't sound that humane to me...easier for the person to just shut the freezer and walk away, but not easier for the critter in question... just my opinion...
idunno.gif

**WARNING....MILDLY GRAPHIC DETAILS FOLLOW - No pics though****

I used a small (handle about 12" long) sharp hatchet, and with the nails in the board it was a very quick and clean kill as I was able to hold on to her body and keep her very still with one hand, while the nails in the board held her head still and let me stretch her neck out to have an easy place to aim. My util sink has a 'rim' about 6" down in the sink where it narrows. The board I used was a piece of 2x4 and it was just the right length to fit perfectly on that little ledge so it was very secure. It was a bit down in the sink, but not so low as to mess up my aim. She didn't even know what hit her - literally - and didn't even struggle against me holding her.

It wasn't the easiest for ME - knowing you are very directly ending this animal's life - but it was probably the quickest and least painful/miserable for her. And was much less 'gory' than I expected it to be. I don't mean to be morbid with the 'details' here, but just posting to help someone else who may be in a similar situation and feels they can't euthanize this way. I'd recommend this method anyday for the chicken's benefit. I surprised myself in that it was much easier to make myself do this than I thought it would be. I knew this morning when I saw the situation was worse for her that it needed to be done and the less time I gave myself to fret and worry over it, the better and easier it was to do.

Frankly, I think this was easier than even taking to the vet for an injection. In an animal that small, often lethal injectsion are done by injecting directly into the heart, as it's too hard to get a vein, and a heart injection is terribly painful, not to mention the stress of travelling to the vet and being handled by so many 'scary' people (from the chicken's point of view). With the heart injection the chicken experiences a lot of stress and then pain - not nearly as quick as the humane beheading methods.

That's just my take on it - your mileage and experiences may vary...

Arlee, thanks so much for sharing some details. I'm lucky...I've never had to do this deed, but I may one day need to, and reading the details, however "gory" one might think they are, at least for me helps me to prepare for the day I'll need to do it. I'm glad you were able to end it in a humane way. I had thought before your post that I'd take a chicken to the vet for an injection if I ever needed to end one's life, but after reading your post, I'm now not so sure I could do that. THANK YOU for opening your heart and being honest and sharing on such a difficult topic!

I'm with you on wanting a humane 'easy' way to help the bird from suffering. I've was raised a country girl, but could never do anything myself. But I read on here how someone had a terrible accident that killed their adult chicken from applying topical creme that contained benzocaine. Used as a pain killer ingredient for a topical ointment treatment. It's a form of anesthesia that can kill a bird or reptile. I guess it's even used as a humane way of euthanasia.----seen info on a website about it. I guess the benzocaine can also kill reptiles too. I guess it works Very quickly, puts them to sleep then they're gone. The person who had their bird die just added a normal amount (like you would sunscreen cream I guess) to the birds comb & waddles. Then the bird sat & then fell over & died. I guess it must absorb into their system thru their skin pores of the comb & waddle. But that's Waaaay more humane to have them fall asleep & die than to have to use an ax. But a tragic accident from one person's experience atleast can possibly bring peace in the end to other suffering birds.

Arlee, I'm so sorry for what you had to go through. I have found this whole post to be very educational. I hope never to have to do this but if DH or I have to do it, this will be a great resource.
hugs.gif

Arlee,

So sorry you had to put your baby down but you did a great job of biting the bullet! It's been a great thread to read, information-wise. I do use my vet if I need to put down a bird but you might be interested to know that he uses gas to put the bird to sleep first, before using the needle. That way, there is no pain. Big hugs,

Ellen

Heres and idea that would work quite well. :aww
Needed:
1 Can Starting Fluid (ether)
2 Bucket 5 gallon or can large enough to hold the chicken.
3 Wad of Cotton, maybe even a whole bag and punch holes in it.

*Graphic Part*

Put your beloved bird in the can or bucket and sock the cotton with starting fluid and drop it in too. Seal it up for 5 minutes the bird will just goto sleep. Ether is what they used for anestesia in the old days.

I hadn't tried this but I truely believe it will be painless and blood less and cost you less than $5

I flamed for my other idea last night so it will stay in the closet.

Quote:
****HUGS**** I am so sorry you had to go through this but I am glad you were able to do what was necessary at the time.
hugs.gif

I am sick with sadness. I have been trying to help a little guy with splayed legs. Hobbling didn't work--maybe we gave up too soon, I dunno. He will be three weeks old on Thursday. I have been giving him pt but now, it seems to hurt him, and the hip makes a popping noise if I try to do pt. I have been very gentle and careful. I am afraid we will have to euthanize.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom