Timers

RWise

Songster
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Oakhurst Oklahoma
I have not been happy with any timer I have had to date to run the lights for the coop. I give the girls 13.5 hours per day of light to keep some of them laying. For now I get up before they do and turn the lights on manually.

Here is what I am looking for in timer, is it made?
1) Battery backup so it does not loose its settings during power failures.(I may also want external backup to run the lights for a while, I can get there with a UPS)

2) Programmable to follow the sunset and turn the lights on in the AM hours, off after sunup. Both for going into winter and back to summer, the day length changes every day, so must the timer.

3) Made somewhere other than China/etc..

Have something like this?

Just bought a timer that installs in the light switch plate , I’m going to get the one that screws into the light socket for the other coop to compare..

As for China... I have no idea .
Go to your local lumberyard they should have options

There are two different pins...one for on and one for off, can be easy to confuse them.
I know, and I triple-checked that I had it done right. It just doesn't work, period.

To be fair, it was only like $4, so I'm not terribly surprised I got a lemon. The digital one was $12, I have higher hopes there.

Last edited:
I have kept the timers inside (mostly) to this point, running a cord out to the coop. Maybe I have just had bad timers,,, I did try keeping one out in the coop, it lost time depending on how cold it got, and then quit. I tossed one the push pins no longer tripped the switch, and only about 30 day old at the time.
This and several other poor items brought me to the conclusion that many items are made to sell, and once they have sold their life is over. Dont even bother to open it just go ahead and toss it.

I have not tried the digital's as yet, that's next! Hope would be they are not effected by temps. I have certainly seen electronics that would not work (correctly) below about 45*F. I do not think those chips would be in a timer,,,

I dunno about timers. I bought one of the regular dial kind a few weeks ago and be damned if the thing just does NOT work. Took me three days to realize that it wasn't shutting off at all, poor birds sleeping with a light on. Now I have a digital one to try that has two options (so I could have them come on, shut off during the day, then come on in the evening and shut off at bedtime). We'll see if that one works, but I'm a little concerned now. I hadn't realized the things require so much babysitting.

I have much the same issue with the dial types, not that they did not attempt to work. But they dont keep good time, get stuck on the the trip pins and either dont turn the lights on, or don turn them off.

Snow I will run over to lowes and see what they have. Keep us updated on your test results please.

I dunno about timers. I bought one of the regular dial kind a few weeks ago and be damned if the thing just does NOT work. Took me three days to realize that it wasn't shutting off at all, poor birds sleeping with a light on. Now I have a digital one to try that has two options (so I could have them come on, shut off during the day, then come on in the evening and shut off at bedtime). We'll see if that one works, but I'm a little concerned now. I hadn't realized the things require so much babysitting.

Yes all the "babysitting" is something I want to get away from. Following the sunset would be great, so I dont have to reset it every few days,,,, and I think digital is a must this time!

I have much the same issue with the dial types, not that they did not attempt to work. But they dont keep good time, get stuck on the the trip pins and either dont turn the lights on, or don turn them off.
I have had several for years and have never really had any problems with them....you do have to rest if power goes off....and those pins can be a pita.

Wonders if the digital will perform well in freezing temps?
The smaller increments on a digital would be great tho.

Back
Top Bottom