hammond16

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2016
Missouri
I recently bought some chicks from a local hatchery and one seems to be having some trouble.
It is much smaller than the rest and seems to stumble forward when it walks. It sleeps more than everyone else but is still chirping and eating and drinking. It doesn't look like it has any deformities or runny nose or eyes or really any other signs of being I'll.
The only other thing I've noticed is that when it lays down it seems to kind of crouch and lean forward to sleep instead of laying down all the way.
Please let me know if this sounds familiar to any of you! Thank you for reading!
This is how it's sleeping right now, like it can't get it's legs comfortable underneath it.

Attachments

• 15037658870901101213817.jpg
    15037658870901101213817.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 15
Are its toes curled? If so, it's probably a riboflavin deficiency.

There are three possible things wrong with the chick: Disease (and no one is going to treat a two-day old chick.) Crooked legs or other injury (which can usually be fixed with a brace) and nutritional deficiency. In my experience, it's almost always nutritional deficiency. The three vitamins most likely to be at fault are riboflavin (B12) thymine (B1) and Vitamin E. Those are supplied in most common chick multivitamins.

Good luck, and if you do buy minerals--buy them fast. Crooked legs and vitamin deficiencies are best fixed as soon as possible--and vitamin deficiencies are irreversible after a certain period of time.

Are its toes curled? If so, it's probably a riboflavin deficiency.

There are three possible things wrong with the chick: Disease (and no one is going to treat a two-day old chick.) Crooked legs or other injury (which can usually be fixed with a brace) and nutritional deficiency. In my experience, it's almost always nutritional deficiency. The three vitamins most likely to be at fault are riboflavin (B12) thymine (B1) and Vitamin E. Those are supplied in most common chick multivitamins.

Good luck, and if you do buy minerals--buy them fast. Crooked legs and vitamin deficiencies are best fixed as soon as possible--and vitamin deficiencies are irreversible after a certain period of time.

It's legs look straight and it's toes aren't curled (Although they do look a little curled in the picture because of how it's laying)
If I went and bought save a chick vitamins and electrolytes and probiotics and added it to everyone's water do you think that wood help?
If I did that, can I also give it a few drops of poly vi sol a day too?

I've never tried poly vi sol. We always hunted around in the stores until we found the actual vitamins and then bought them. You could check the internet, or just read the back of the bottles, but I doubt anything would be hurt if you gave them both.

I've never tried poly vi sol. We always hunted around in the stores until we found the actual vitamins and then bought them. You could check the internet, or just read the back of the bottles, but I doubt anything would be hurt if you gave them both.

Thank you!
I'm going to try to go get everything tomorrow, I live quite a ways from anywhere that sells this stuff so I hope it works.

Most you can do is to nurse it along and hope for the best. Keep it warm. I have a really tiny one I am watching right now 3 days old. I have noticed that it Lay's right under the light where it is the warmest most all of the time. So far he is eating and drinking. Try not to over think the situation and relax a bit there is only so much you can do and sadly sometimes mother nature wins. I am sure you are doing everything you can. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom