tiny chick not growing like hatchmates...lump on belly- Help?

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
I hatched some golden cuckoo marans almost a month ago. 1 of them was pretty floppy and kept falling over and laying on her back. Well, she got over that (somehow) and I've noticed that she isn't growing like all the others. (I ordered 25 pullets from Welp and hatched about 15 babies all within 2 days of the Welp chicks. They are all going to be a month old next week.) This baby is growing feathers, just not at the same rate as everyone else. She is not much bigger than a newly hatched chick. She has a bulgey blue mass way low on her belly, like the yolk absorbed, but didn't go anywhere once it was inside. It feels lumpy when I palpate it. What can this be? Should I take a picture of it to show you? She seems fine in with everyone...big girls, little silkies, and hatchmate GCM boys and girls. She gets around and holds her own. I want to help her if I can do something...I just thought she was stunted and would catch up. Now I'm thinking that lumpy thing is the cause.
Lisa

Last edited:
Not sure what the lump is but your theory sounds good to me. Definately sounds like there is some sort of deficiency in that poor baby. Genetic, internal physiology, etc. I can't stand to even use the word cull but I know several folks would suggest it. I think it is up to you as to the quality of life the little one has. It is eating, drinking, peeping? If it seemed like it was getting along, I'm one to just keep letting it. It's made it this long so...

my thoughts exactly. I'm just wondering and hoping there is something I can do to maybe help that lumpy blue.gray belly mass go away? I feel like it's related to the slow growth...
Anyone else know?
bulgeybuttGCM023.jpg

GCM021.jpg

Should I put it in the other brooder I have with 7 new packing peanut RIRs and 3 baby goslings? Maybe she'd do better in there?

Last edited:
Anyone know what that is? I really need to know whether to take her out or leave her in with the bigger chicks.

If she's active, eating and getting along fine with her mates, then I'd leave her where she is. She'll have to find another pecking order all over again with the other chicks.

She does look odd in the photographs, though.... however, since she seems to be doing fine, other than her slower growth, I'd just leave her as is but keep an eye on her.

Carla

Quote:
I'm going to try to catch her pooping, but its hard to see her when she's hidden under all the bigger taller chicks. They stand over her and I have to get them to move apart just to find her. Will try to watch her....

Hi everyone, I know this is kind of an old thread but I just had a lavender Orp hatch with a bulge just like that this morning. Did you ever find out what it was? Did she ever grow and thrive? Any info would be great!

I have a rejected old English game chick that is only one day old . They kicked him out the best yesterday.they were pecking at him so I've taken him inside.he can't walk very will and his head is always down..help

Back
Top Bottom