Tip of beak is broken

ferocious

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Hi there,

I've had these 3 chickens (Americaunas) for a long time now - about 3 years. Two had been raised together and the third was brought in with 3 other chicks as babies. The new ones went into the coop at adolescence and later it was discovered that 3 of them (silkies) were roosters so they went back. The other one then became the #3 chicken - Misha. She got pushed around and pecked a lot but managed to hold her own. Well recently the other 2 got eaten by hawks!

So I thought I should try introducing another chicken so she could have a buddy before getting 4 or 5 new ones so she would not be alone with a bunch of others who would boss her and peck her. I want to get ones that have been raised as a group so they will have already worked out their pecking order.

I guess that was a big mistake. The new one (sweetie pi) a 7 month old red goldline - now has the tip of her beak broken - top and bottom - and she is scared of Misha and acting kind of lethargic. Misha will peck at her and chase her out of the coop where she is trying to hide out I think.

It is the very tip of the beak and I wonder if it will grow back and is it painful?

The other thing is, that she laid her first egg and I think Misha ate it and then laid her own right in the same spot. This is very troublesome. Unless it might have been left by one of the others before they died and I didn't notice it, but Misha had never eaten anyone's eggs before.

So that's my story.

Anyone have some advice? I'm pretty unschooled as far as introducing new ones and diseases etc.

Thanks!
Ferocious

I have an easter egger that I found after seeing blood everywhere and she had chipped her beak, but the piece ended up breaking off. Her beak was sort of crooked for a while while it was growing back, but now it is back to normal and has grown back. Your girl should be fine. On the other hand, you should probably separate them and get a pinless peepers for Misha until she learns not to pick on anyone else. Good Luck!

Pinless peepers are attached to the beak and nostril of bully chickens. It prevents the chicken from being able to pick on others. They are harmless and the chicken can still eat and drink. Just google Pinless Peepers and you will find where to order them.

Back
Top Bottom