Tip of beak missing !!!

pullorroo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 21, 2008
Mill Valley CA
Help, I just got home and found that Betty somehow chipped the tip of her beak off !!! Is this common ? is she in pain, should I be concerned ?? Thanks

How much is chipped off? She'll be ok, if a lot is missing it might hurt her a little, but nothing that will interfere with everyday chicken life. It will grow back, but it may tae some time depending on how much broke off. The beak grows slowly on mature birds.

that happened to my main big daddy roo when he was a chick he broke off about a quarter of his beak he didnt seem to notice it was missing himself lol his grew bsack and now hes all grown up struttin for tha ladies
big_smile.png

Its really just the tip, but I can see a bit of fleshy looking tissue exposed... thanks for all the support, here's a picture.... She is acting normally, pecking and stuff.... any idea how she could have done this ??
Image:
hope that picture is there !?!?!?

No picture

Depending upon how high up the chip is gone, she will probalby grow it back. If it's bleeding it probably won't grow back completely, but it'll definitely heal over.

She may have gotten into a fight with another hen. Probably a freak accident.

I've got a banty hen with a twisted beak. From time to time I have to trim the beak to keep it from getting too long.

Back
Top Bottom