Tips for boiling FRESH eggs?

I just watched a YouTube video on this subject of hard boiling fresh eggs a few days ago. The lady there boils her water first, then shocks the egg by putting them in the boiling water for 10-12 minutes, then shocks them a second time by taking the hot eggs and dumping them in ice water.

I would think steaming eggs is a great option. Boiling water is about 180F and steam is even hotter at 212F. Either cooking method sounds like it would work as they both use an ice water shock at the end which is what really separates the egg from the shell for easier peeling. I'm going to try the steam method next time, given the recommendations by so many.

I take mine from the fridge and put them in simmering water then bring up to a boil to prevent the eggs from cracking. Then I put them in the ice bath. I think the cold, hot, cold is what makes them easy to peel. I think it will be much easier though if they are steamed in a basket, I could pick up the whole basket to put in the ice bath instead of having to remove them one by one from boiling water. I’ll try that.

I think the green around the yolk is because after the eggs are streamed or boiled they must be immediately plunged into ice cold water and if you don't you will get the green around the yolk. I put my eggs in water for 20 minutes and boil them then take them out and plunge them into ice cold water for 20 minutes. I use a spider strainer to put the eggs in the pot with and take them out.
SpiderStrainer.jpg

I googled it and tried several methods that said they were easier peeling. The one that works best for me:
Start water to boil. Once boiling, add eggs. (I use a slotted spoon) Boil for ten minutes, let set for five, then submerge in an ice bath. I leave mine in the ice water until they are totally cooled. Most of them peel in two halves, but there is the occasional stubborn egg.

Hey folks! :frow

Boiling water first... no salt, soda, extra equipment, or magic needed. Shock them in and shock them out. Peel fresh eggs clean almost 100% of the time. This is a tried and true method, not hear say. :drool

The amount of time spent boiling depends on the egg size and how done you want them. A green sulfur smelling yolk is indeed caused by over cooking. I often add bantam eggs just a bit later than the larger ones.

They still peel fine whether you do it immediately or later. My tap water is cold enough to shock eggs if ran over them after draining but most folks may need the ice water.

https://foodscienceinstitute.com/2017/09/15/easy-peel-hard-boiled-eggs/

Yay for nutritious and delicious, easy (and even fun) to peel FRESH boiled (or steamed) eggs! :wee

Back
Top Bottom