Tips on growing sunflowers...

IMG_3734.JPG

Black-eyed susans in lower left. This is too close together. But they sprouted!

Some of mine are 12 feet. I'll get a picture when the sun comes up @PirateGirl . I planted mine too close since I thought I would get a terrible germination rate. They are too close. A couple are shaded and bloomed at 5 feet. 2" flowers. The 12 footer looks full size. The neighbors are enjoying it too.

The kids' friends are amazed, astounded and awed. Never seen sunflowers growing. Too cute. We have some wild sun flowers that will bloom later on the side of the road and empty fields. I'll have to picture those later. Not blooming today.

They sound awesome. I didn't realize they grew so big at the time lol

We have wild mountain sunflowers. This is one reason I think I can grow sunflowers in my climate. I read an article on growing them when I posted this. It said to plant three seeds in each hole, then once they grow to cut off the two weakest at ground level and keep the strongest. I am going to try this method so that hopefully it increases my odds of success. My garden ground and boxes (complete with new windows) will be ready to plant in another day. I did not buy the mammoth sunflower seeds, but bought the only other variety I could find. They should grow up to 5 feet tall. I figured with my short growing season and dry climate I might do better with a smaller variety.

I usually plant a ton of seeds of all plants in every hole but figured since these were so big I wouldn't. I should have. Not every one came up.

View attachment 1404149
Black-eyed susans in lower left. This is too close together. But they sprouted!

They look awesome.

So I got a late start, but we can't plant outdoors here until Memorial Day. My sunflower seeds are in the ground. I selected a 5' variety. Today when I watered them I noticed they are all sprouting! Hopefully they will survive and thrive. My flower garden is just getting its first blooms and these should grow up behind everything.

Sunflowers go fast when there is sun.
They come in edible for humans or edible for others.
The suzans don't grow that big.
I have the ones that can grow 4 meter high (2 very tall humans in US units).
Key is to give them support with a (bamboo)stick and rubber bands. They are hard to bind to something for support because they grow fast and get thick fast; elastic bands give them the room to grow but also the support they need.
We have these large ones because it is the favourite flower of a special person in heaven and we want them to reach as high as possible to heaven.
Susans will be shorter and need less support.
They are all water lovers though, but not really fussy flowers. Because they grow so fast you have to keep an eye on them; if they need water. One day not looking can be the end of the sunflower.

Sunflowers go fast when there is sun.
They come in edible for humans or edible for others.
The suzans don't grow that big.
I have the ones that can grow 4 meter high (2 very tall humans in US units).
Key is to give them support with a (bamboo)stick and rubber bands. They are hard to bind to something for support because they grow fast and get thick fast; elastic bands give them the room to grow but also the support they need.
We have these large ones because it is the favourite flower of a special person in heaven and we want them to reach as high as possible to heaven.
Susans will be shorter and need less support.
They are all water lovers though, but not really fussy flowers. Because they grow so fast you have to keep an eye on them; if they need water. One day not looking can be the end of the sunflower.

Thanks! It is very dry here. I will keep an eye on them as they grow. I have the hose out to fill the chicken and duck water daily, so hopefully once a day with the hose will be good enough for the sunflowers. We shall see!

Thanks! It is very dry here. I will keep an eye on them as they grow. I have the hose out to fill the chicken and duck water daily, so hopefully once a day with the hose will be good enough for the sunflowers. We shall see!

I think it will! I use the same battle-plan. (tactic?). When I need the hose for the featherfluffs I hose them as well :) above 70 fahrenheit twice. (sorta 20 degrees celcius). Actually, when the ducks need more water because it is hot the sunflowers get automatically more water because it is hot :p
Good luck! And don't forget to show pictures! :D

I think it will! I use the same battle-plan. (tactic?). When I need the hose for the featherfluffs I hose them as well :) above 70 fahrenheit twice. (sorta 20 degrees celcius). Actually, when the ducks need more water because it is hot the sunflowers get automatically more water because it is hot :p
Good luck! And don't forget to show pictures! :D

We seem to have endless winter, but things are breaking ground. Sunflower sprouts, potatoes, garlic, carrots, onions, all showing above ground growth. My wildflowers in my garden that I let reseed themselves every year are budding.

I had around 20 Titan sunflowers pop up and as soon as they did I caught chipmunks digging them up and stealing the seeds, also took a lot of my Indian corn :mad:
I have only six plants left of the sunflowers so I picked up a package of Russian mammoth.
The Titan, Sunzilla and the American giant hybrid supposedly need no support.

I have titans. I realise now when Beer can mentioned it.
That they don't need support... I find it bullocks. But then again I live in a very windy country. I guess they need less support when you live in a wind-still environment... but I still don't buy it. They literaly look so out-bred that they will never support their head when reaching 4 meters tall (two basketball players). And like people who reach the height of 2.50+ meters, they dó need support.

I read on the climate in Colarado. Very interesting climate from my perspective. Not a climate I had the pleasure of to enjoy. I would love to see pictures of your garden.

I have titans. I realise now when Beer can mentioned it.
That they don't need support... I find it bullocks. But then again I live in a very windy country. I guess they need less support when you live in a wind-still environment... but I still don't buy it. They literaly look so out-bred that they will never support their head when reaching 4 meters tall (two basketball players). And like people who reach the height of 2.50+ meters, they dó need support.

I read on the climate in Colarado. Very interesting climate from my perspective. Not a climate I had the pleasure of to enjoy. I would love to see pictures of your garden.

Colorado has very diverse climates. It varies mostly with elevation. We have grasslands and mountains and deserts. Overall it is all dry. I will get some photos.

Back
Top Bottom