Tips on growing sunflowers...

Make sure your sunflowers are in a full sun location so they don't get weak and leggy. They're easy to grow and not very picky about soil or water once they're established. I like to plant a variety of sunflowers at different heights. I like the rust red ones and ones with double petals in addition to classic single petal varieties. I think sunflowers are beautiful grown with amaranth, which is a favorite of the chickens.

Make sure your sunflowers are in a full sun location so they don't get weak and leggy. They're easy to grow and not very picky about soil or water once they're established. I like to plant a variety of sunflowers at different heights. I like the rust red ones and ones with double petals in addition to classic single petal varieties. I think sunflowers are beautiful grown with amaranth, which is a favorite of the chickens.

We don't have a single tree on our lot, so plenty of sun! (though I long for a few trees)

Some of my mammoth sunflowers are starting to come up :D

Some of mine are 12 feet. I'll get a picture when the sun comes up @PirateGirl . I planted mine too close since I thought I would get a terrible germination rate. They are too close. A couple are shaded and bloomed at 5 feet. 2" flowers. The 12 footer looks full size. The neighbors are enjoying it too.

The kids' friends are amazed, astounded and awed. Never seen sunflowers growing. Too cute. We have some wild sun flowers that will bloom later on the side of the road and empty fields. I'll have to picture those later. Not blooming today.

Some of mine are 12 feet. I'll get a picture when the sun comes up @PirateGirl . I planted mine too close since I thought I would get a terrible germination rate. They are too close. A couple are shaded and bloomed at 5 feet. 2" flowers. The 12 footer looks full size. The neighbors are enjoying it too.

The kids' friends are amazed, astounded and awed. Never seen sunflowers growing. Too cute. We have some wild sun flowers that will bloom later on the side of the road and empty fields. I'll have to picture those later. Not blooming today.

We have wild mountain sunflowers. This is one reason I think I can grow sunflowers in my climate. I read an article on growing them when I posted this. It said to plant three seeds in each hole, then once they grow to cut off the two weakest at ground level and keep the strongest. I am going to try this method so that hopefully it increases my odds of success. My garden ground and boxes (complete with new windows) will be ready to plant in another day. I did not buy the mammoth sunflower seeds, but bought the only other variety I could find. They should grow up to 5 feet tall. I figured with my short growing season and dry climate I might do better with a smaller variety.

Back
Top Bottom