1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tips/Tricks cleaning styro bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ro.netcmarie, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    need to clean my strofoam bator after my first hatch. it really stinks in there!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] need to know how to clean it without damaging it. help please. thanks for any inputs.

2. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I'm gonna follow this post cuz I wanna know too! [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I take the bottom, the wire and the plastic liner, set them in the bathtub in a hot water bath of weak bleach ( 2 capfuls & dawn dish liquid) to soak for an hour, rinse well and set out in the sun to day all day. The top with the fan & heating elements I just wipe down with a damp cloth in the same solution and dry, set in the sun to air dry.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a Little Giant incubator ?

5. thebigroo

thebigroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    NC
    I use the bleach type cleaners sold in stores and wash it out in the bathtub. If it is really bad I go to the backyard and use the same stuff and wash it out with the hose on low. I then air day it for several days. Hope this helps.

6. enola

I used sponges to get the humidity to go up. Can I also wash the sponges in the bleach water in the bath tub while I am soaking the bottom half of my hatcher?

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I always use new sponges for humidity, never the same ones.

8. enola

Enola sneaks off to throw sponges in the trash . . . .

9. enola

I do have another question though . . .

Since my new liner for my LG hatcher has not arrived yet and I have more eggs to go in the hatcher tomorrow, can I put a paper towel under the wire rack to keep the bottom of the hatcher clean?

Will the paper towel stop the air flow?

Maybe I should use those 'mesh type' shelf liners instead of the paper towel ?

10. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I used shelf liner in the bottom of mine. I picked it up and just threw it away. Cleaning wasn't too hard. I washed it out immediately after everyone was hatched and dried. I hoped by doing this that the smell wouldn't soak in too much. I brought it outside to let it air out, and dry. I'm not sure if I should do the bleach thing now or later when I use it again?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by