Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
I candled a small handful just now because I wanted to see how they were doing and I’m seeing veins even in the darker colored eggs. I didn’t candle all, but I think now I can leave them be until day 8. I mostly want to candle them to get experience, but I’d be happy letting them be til day 18.

Why do people buy eggs to hatch instead of just buying chicks? I always figured people hatched their own eggs from their own flock. It wasn’t until last year that I found out people buy eggs from hatcheries to hatch them themselves.

In my case it is for two good reasons...firstly I currently have no rooster so my eggs are not fertile! Secondly, I am in Ireland where there is no availability of certain breeds that I want near me to pick up chicks meaning shipped eggs are my best way to obtain those breeds.

In my case it is for two good reasons...firstly I currently have no rooster so my eggs are not fertile! Secondly, I am in Ireland where there is no availability of certain breeds that I want near me to pick up chicks meaning shipped eggs are my best way to obtain those breeds.

Oh I never thought about people with no roosters. That makes sense since some places don’t allow roosters. Thanks! I kinda figured about the rare breeds, okay so with chicks they can only survive so long being mailed, but eggs can last a few days longer so it’s the better route?

Oh I never thought about people with no roosters. That makes sense since some places don’t allow roosters. Thanks! I kinda figured about the rare breeds, okay so with chicks they can only survive so long being mailed, but eggs can last a few days longer so it’s the better route?

In my case, cost and genetics were major considerations. The breeds I am after go for over $20 per chick even from a major hatchery (which would likely not meet breed standards), or I could buy eggs from a regional breeder for 1/4 of the cost and pick them up myself to reduce shipping issues (no cold mail rooms, rough handling). Plus the breeder is NPIP certified...I know I'm going to have chicks that meet breed standards!

Why do people buy eggs to hatch instead of just buying chicks? I always figured people hatched their own eggs from their own flock. It wasn’t until last year that I found out people buy eggs from hatcheries to hatch them themselves.

We bought 6 acres in November with a big chicken area with two coops. They were empty though, so something had to be done about that :) No body had chicks in November, so I started looking online. There was nothing on Craigslist, so I said screw it and bought 6 Ayam Cemani hatching eggs from some random person on Ebay. A couple days later decided to buy 15+ rare breed potluck from Foxfire on Ebay. Also, wanted to get chicks ASAP so we could have fresh eggs by summer. If we waited until spring, we wouldn’t have eggs until fall or later.

None of the Cemanis developed, but the Foxfire eggs all made it to lockdown. But have never hatched before, had my humidity too high and only 7 hatched. We’ve now done 5 batches of shipped eggs and glad we did. So many cool breeds that no feed store would have.

Speaking of Feed Store... I may have bought 6 chicks while I was there today :oops: We were only supposed to get feed!

2 Welsummers
2 Blue Plymouth crosses
2 Andalusian Blues

The Emus are pretty much the same story. We have plenty of room for a bunch of them, but can’t find anyone around here with chicks. So bought some emu hatching eggs. First batch was a bust, second was a bunch of broken eggs, but third batch I picked up personally after a long drive. Might have 7 emus by the end of March :D

We bought 6 acres in November with a big chicken area with two coops. They were empty though, so something had to be done about that :) No body had chicks in November, so I started looking online. There was nothing on Craigslist, so I said screw it and bought 6 Ayam Cemani hatching eggs from some random person on Ebay. A couple days later decided to buy 15+ rare breed potluck from Foxfire on Ebay. Also, wanted to get chicks ASAP so we could have fresh eggs by summer. If we waited until spring, we wouldn’t have eggs until fall or later.

None of the Cemanis developed, but the Foxfire eggs all made it to lockdown. But have never hatched before, had my humidity too high and only 7 hatched. We’ve now done 5 batches of shipped eggs and glad we did. So many cool breeds that no feed store would have.

Speaking of Feed Store... I may have bought 6 chicks while I was there today :oops: We were only supposed to get feed!

2 Welsummers
2 Blue Plymouth crosses
2 Andalusian Blues

The Emus are pretty much the same story. We have plenty of room for a bunch of them, but can’t find anyone around here with chicks. So bought some emu hatching eggs. First batch was a bust, second was a bunch of broken eggs, but third batch I picked up personally after a long drive. Might have 7 emus by the end of March :D

Welsummers! 😍 on my wishlist for sure. Enjoy their pretty speckled eggs!

No body had chicks in November, so I started looking online.
Also, wanted to get chicks ASAP so we could have fresh eggs by summer. If we waited until spring, we wouldn’t have eggs until fall or later.

That makes sense! I actually have decided to hatch some eggs in late summer/early fall so I can have fresh eggs by spring. I am hatching some now, but more so because I wanted to start learning the ins and outs now instead of later when I decide to hatch rare breeds (if my addiction ever gets that far haha)

Speaking of the emus... just weighed everybody and they were all over the place with weight. So no way to tell if humidity should be added or if I should run a dehumidifier. Within 2 to 3 grams more or less of their goal weight. Dry hatching at about 25% to 30%. Don’t really want to risk moving some to the still air incubator.

Might as well stick with the plan... “set em and forget em” if they hatch, great.

Back
Top Bottom