Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
I was fooled!!!

I bought 6 Silver Spitzhauben eggs on eBay ONLY because they were located in Shelton Washington. I figured, screw it, I’ll just fill the incubator with some eggs that are close by of a breed I really want. BS! I just checked tracking and they left Arizona this morning!

Messaged the seller and asked why they’re leaving AZ?
Wow! I hope that they arrive in good shape and you have a good hatch rate.
I won an EBay auction last week. Seller was in Arkansas. Pre-shipping label information showed New Smyrna Beach, FL. Then today a new label and tracking number was assigned when the item was received by USPS. The new info shows Arkansas. Hoping your situation is similar?

You can't even really blame it on anything but the postal service. There's no way for you to know what you'll get. Unfortunately because of where I'm located out mail goes to a sorting facility in Florida before coming back up to us in Georgia, they do not treat packages well there. I do occasionally get packages that bypass the Jacksonville facility and they always look better. :idunno
I agree! I live in Central Florida and ordered eggs from a seller on the east coast. I should have driven the 2 hours to pick them up, but I'm recovering from surgery. They shipped to Orlando, but then to Tampa (west coast), and then to Ybor City, before getting to my local post office. After going through 3 different distribution centers I am not holding out much hope. Also sheds some light on why they seem to lose money.

Last edited:
D10 Update:

Pulled my penultimate BBS marans egg out. It was infertile or scrambled or possibly even infected - some whitish chunkiness in the yolk that didn't look like embryonic tissue, and no vasculature. The last one is probably alive tho.

But, everything else is alive! Hopefully I'll get the replacement marans eggs this week so they won't be so far behind the other chicks.

Here's my record from today. I included a little "humidity map" of their positioning in the incubator so I can see where the dry/wet spots are. Everything's mostly right on track, I'll probably keep the humidity around the 35-45% mark for the next four days.

Attachments

• D10 results.png
    D10 results.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 7
Can you cancel the order? Or get a refund?

Eggs are already shipped out, so can’t cancel. Refunds aren’t given after purchase. I’m trying very hard to not be upset. I ALWAYS check location before a purchase. Especially on any shipped eggs. This just adds one more step to purchasing eggs... have now learned that no matter where they say they’re located, have tom essage first to confirm. :rolleyes:

Wow! I hope that they arrive in good shape and you have a good hatch rate.
I won an EBay auction last week. Seller was in Arkansas. Pre-shipping label information showed New Smyrna Beach, FL. Then today a new label and tracking number was assigned when the item was received by USPS. The new info shows Arkansas. Hoping your situation is similar?

This would be great! I’m hoping the seller will message me back and say they live in Shelton, WA. I was fully prepared to have a great hatch because everything was local. Picked up all of the eggs except the 6 coming from Arizona now. Darn it...

61180543-8917-469F-B7E0-E481CEC67949.png

3936593C-3C63-4906-B8AB-E631D1921271.png

Eggs are already shipped out, so can’t cancel. Refunds aren’t given after purchase. I’m trying very hard to not be upset. I ALWAYS check location before a purchase. Especially on any shipped eggs. This just adds one more step to purchasing eggs... have now learned that no matter where they say they’re located, have tom essage first to confirm. :rolleyes:

This would be great! I’m hoping the seller will message me back and say they live in Shelton, WA. I was fully prepared to have a great hatch because everything was local. Picked up all of the eggs except the 6 coming from Arizona now. Darn it...

View attachment 2035132
View attachment 2035133
Ugh! Since it is showing it departed the AZ facility, maybe they have more than one farm. That is unconscionable for there to be such a disparity in the source location for such a fragile package. Hopefully they will start adding source location to the auction info.

Last edited:
Ugh! Since it is showing it departed the AZ facility, maybe they have more than one farm. That is unconscionable for there to be such a disparity in the source locationfor such a fragile package. Hopefully they will start adding source location to the auction info.

You were spot on. Just got a response back. Long one too. This still doesn’t fix the problem. I would not have purchased these eggs if I knew they were coming from 4 statesish away... Lesson learned.

D10 Update:

Pulled my penultimate BBS marans egg out. It was infertile or scrambled or possibly even infected - some whitish chunkiness in the yolk that didn't look like embryonic tissue, and no vasculature. The last one is probably alive tho.

But, everything else is alive! Hopefully I'll get the replacement marans eggs this week so they won't be so far behind the other chicks.

Here's my record from today. I included a little "humidity map" of their positioning in the incubator so I can see where the dry/wet spots are. Everything's mostly right on track, I'll probably keep the humidity around the 35-45% mark for the next four days.
Sorry to hear about your penultimate BBS marans! I feel like I'm not having great BBS marans luck either, but it will be a couple days until I know for sure.

I love the humidity map, though!

Hi guys! We just put 22 eggs in our incubator!
8 English Orpington eggs
2 silkie eggs
1 Candy Corn Polish egg
5 Olive Egger eggs
6 Ameraucana eggs!!!

Lately, the English Orpingtons have been infertile due to mating difficulties so hopefully at least some of them hatch!:) Also, the polish egg could end up being a Vorwerk and polish cross!:) They are all due to hatch on March 16th! Wish me luck!:fl

Hi guys! We just put 22 eggs in our incubator!
8 English Orpington eggs
2 silkie eggs
1 Candy Corn Polish egg
5 Olive Egger eggs
6 Ameraucana eggs!!!

Lately, the English Orpingtons have been infertile due to mating difficulties so hopefully at least some of them hatch!:) Also, the polish egg could end up being a Vorwerk and polish cross!:) They are all due to hatch on March 16th! Wish me luck!:fl
:fl :fl :fl
:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom