Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

🎵 "One of these things is not like the others" 🎵 lol
There was a little surprise that hatched out of one of the Marans eggs! It looks like another rooster got into the pen. 😂

3-24-20 Marans & Oddball (2).JPG
3-24-20 Silkies Dark (2).JPG
3-24-20 Silkies Silver (2).JPG
3-24-20 Silkies White & Paint (3).JPG

This little Button Quail popped out of its itty bitty egg this morning. The only BQ egg that made it to lockdown, and it hatched. Who would've guessed it would actually hatch?!? LOL.
I'm surprised it made it. Most didn't develop. And then there was the predator... Me. :oops: I am embarrassed to admit how many of the eggs I broke when trying to pick them up to move from the NR 360 to Brinsea. Even when being very careful, they crush incredibly easily!!

Left to hatch this week... 2 Jubilee English Orpington eggs, and 3 emu eggs!:pop

IMG_6417.JPG

IMG_6418.JPG

This little Button Quail popped out of its itty bitty egg this morning. The only BQ egg that made it to lockdown, and it hatched. Who would've guessed it would actually hatch?!? LOL.
I'm surprised it made it. Most didn't develop. And then there was the predator... Me. :oops: I am embarrassed to admit how many of the eggs I broke when trying to pick them up to move from the NR 360 to Brinsea. Even when being very careful, they crush incredibly easily!!

Left to hatch this week... 2 Jubilee English Orpington eggs, and 3 emu eggs!:pop

View attachment 2061024
View attachment 2061026
That's soooo tiny

View attachment 2061024
View attachment 2061026

It's SO ITTY BITTY!! 😍

It is so incredibly small. It's like a bug sized bird LOL. The eggs were a similar size to the Easter candy--Robins Eggs. Fragile too. It's amazing anything can hatch out of something that size!
It's a cutie. I never could keep the button quail babies alive. They'd fall asleep away from the heat or literally in the waterer. But the adult were fun and cute. Very sensative to even Georgia's mild cold I learned the hard way. When I can keep a few in an indoor aviary, I'll try again.

My 8 quail eggs are now in lockdown. I've added a little bit of water to the incubator 3 times over the hatch, plus I've just filled it all the way now. Fingers crossed for a good hatch. Oh I also can't fit the egg crate on top of the egg tray for this hatch as the eggs won't all fit laying on their side. So this will be a egg stood up hatch. :fl

Back
Top Bottom