To anyone who has had a mean roo

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
OK I have Bantam chickens so I have not encountered much of anything for aggressive behaviour in roosters.

I was reading another post and someone said they were 'flogged' be a rooster (cockerel actually)

I would be very interested to hear some stories of real experiences on how mean a rooster can be. I am just curiouse as to their behaviour, because I dont see much of any of that with the banties I have. The only thing I did have a Wyandotte once who would peck me a little and I got rid of him.

Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
I've got 5 roos/cockerels...my bantam Louise has only nipped me a couple of times and for the most part is an angel.

Iris, my other bantam who stays with the hens has been known to fly at me out of nowhere right into my legs.

My NHR's and BA can be nasty little brats...Suzanne, my BA nailed in the back of the leg yesterday...just came right up and took a chunk out of my calf..bit me on the foot as well...drew blood both times.

I don't like to smack animals, but I've had to swat them numerous times when they get nasty like that.

I'll never have another roo! I love them, but they're just too unpredicatable as far as aggressiveness goes....

I'll jump in since I grew up on a farm and had lot's of Roosters.
We had a white Leghorn Rooster when I was a kid that would let you come in the coop to pick eggs and then attack you when you walked out. I was about seven when he took his spurs and ripped my shirt and pants. The only thing I really remember is his wings hitting me in the head. My dad saw it all happen and actually "took care" of him right then and there. But the rooster was just doing what roosters do. I was taking potential chickens and invading his turf.
Since then I have had dozens of Bantam Roosters and one unidentified (New Hampshire?) full sized. They were the sweetest birds and with the full sized Rooster he used to come sit in our laps so we could pet him.
I currently have only hens because we live "in town" now. My kids want a Rooster so our girls can have babies, but they will just have to pray that we win the lottery so we can buy land here.
Good luck with your Bantams! They are just the coolest birds!

I have a NHR that is newly mean since the hens started laying....he used to be so sweet, coming over to see me everyday and talking my ear off.....now he bites, HARD, and has made me and my dh bleed on more than one occasion....we are going to get rid of him tomorrow bc he is unpredictable to have around the kids....i will not get another NHR roo. i know that now! our wyandotte roo is not aggressive at all.
roll.png

I have only one roo who is a Jersey Giant. He is only 6 months old. He was fine until about two weeks ago. I was in the coop and one of the hens got out. My very sweet dog decided to chase the hen. The Roo, Walter as we call him, attacked the dog. After that he came at me. Of course he does not have a spur yet and all he did was beat me with his wings. I pinned him to the ground and held him there for a few seconds until he calmed down. Two other times he has tried to get me. He is just doing what he is made for but it is kinda irritating. I watch him pretty closely when I am in the coop. My husband wants to make him dinner, but I really like having him so I will put up with a certain amount of "bad boy" behavior.
big_smile.png

I had a crazy bantam rooster! He was a Golden Seabright who started sort of normal, but became psychotic. Basically, there was one night when wild dogs tried to get into the run. He fought them through the hardware cloth, and it was really traumatizing for him. He got really nutso after that. If you tried to go near the run, he'd try to spur you, peck you, and draw blood. My husband could only take it for about 2 months, and he finally said, "That guy is soup!"

RIP little meanie. You were delicious.

Last edited:
RIP little meanie. You were delicious.

OMG!! That's hilarious!
lau.gif

I hope my Sebright doesn't go crazy like that, but I see the potential in him. I would hate to have to make soup out of him! He is the self imposed protector of the flock, but right now he is pretty affectionate towards people.

My Campine, on the other hand, is a little demon. He's lucky he's beautiful.​

Last edited:
My Dot is very friendly to everyone except my brother. Jimmy picked at him until Dot got mad at a young age. Since then, Dot will attack Jimmy at first sight. Last Fall Dot put a spur through Jim's heavy leather boots and managed to get Jim's foot. I couldn't stop laughing and Dot was immediatly on his shelter crowing.

As far as my 36 year old brother is concerned, Dot is a 2 pound menace.

About 6 years ago, after I moved back in after graduating from App State, Mom and dad had an old red roo that hated me. I was the one that fed, watered, and let them out to freerange everyday. But that thing hated me. The first time he attacked I wasn't paying attention and he hit me on the front of my right leg. Left 2 deep puncture holes from his spurs that went to the bone.

I avoided him for a few weeks. It got to where I couldn't go out into the back yard when the coup was open.

Then one day I guess some had left the coup open. He saw me come out of the house and came running. Right as I rounded the shed he came full force. I grabbed him by the neck in mid air and whipped my wrist. He made a good pot of chicken and dumplings.
big_smile.png

Matt

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom