To anyone who has had a mean roo

'Flogged' is when the roo jumps up and spurs you. They jump up and throw their feet forward like they are trying to kick you, however, on the way back down they catch you with the 'spurs'.

I have had one RIR that has almost sliced my pants on the front of my thigh, left about a 6 inche long bruise down my leg.

He ambushed me too.

I started trying to remove as many feathers as I could with a broom. About 3-4 broomings and he decided it would be in his best interest to walk the other way when I showed up.

I finally got him 'trained' and then something made chicken nuggets out of him and it wasn't me.LOL.

Now, I have a new Roo and so far he has not become aggressive with me or anyone. However, should he attempt that route, he will get the same treatment.

Rusty is starting to get protective.. but I am going to do as Rooster Red says and start carrying his fluffy butt around and teach him that I AM THE BIG ROO!

When I was a kid, my folks had a White Leghorn Roo named "Villian" that was 3lbs of nothing but mean. He would attack me every single time I went into the yard, and I have scars to this day that he gave me on my legs, back, arms and under my right eye. It was my chore to collect the eggs and feed the chickens, and my folks answer to dealing with him was to arm my 7 year old self with a broom, which was never enough to fend off him and the English Game Cock, "Mad Jack" that lived in the pen with the hens, so I was bloodied every single day. Villian's reign of terror ended when he was foolish enough to finally attack my mom in front of her poodle, my mom threw a wall eyed hissy fit over being flogged and pecked, and that dog saw the whole thing. We left for town with the dog in the back yard, and when we returned, she met us at the front gate...all we ever found of Villian was a little pile of feathers and I have had a healthy respect for poodles ever since.
I have 3 roos right now that have started getting over aggressive towards my smaller roos and my hens, even chasing them out of food and the worst of the lot attacked and almost killed my blue andalusian, so they are leaving to go live on the Rez this Friday with one of my ex's co-workers. I wont subject my kids to that kind of abuse, and with a special needs kid, I am not sure how to handle the whole culling thing...im a wuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid we had a big white rooster - I don't know what he was, solid white, really big (when he eventually got the axe he dressed out at 13 lbs). He had large spurs and was always looking for a chance to get you. My sister was afraid to take out the compost - he would always go for her. Luckily because of his size, he was clumsy - you could see him coming and fend him off with an upraised foot. If you tipped him just right, he'd lay on his back flapping like a back stranded turtle. Also must have been the stupidest chicken ever - he never, not ONCE figure out how to walk back up the board into the coop - we had to toss him in every night when it got dark. Eventually we got tired of getting ambushed and give him to some farm friends who didn't have any problem about turning him into soup.

OK, here is the third, "when I was a kid" post.

It's been 40 years but we had one of those fighting game cocks. I walked into the coop where he was the king with all of his hens and he decided that he didn't like me there. I got a spur right into my left thigh. As I ran away, the spur had gone through my pants into my flesh and then the rooster was caught on me and was just hanging on me and trying to get away and peck at me at the same time. I finally pulled him out of my leg and that afternoon my older brother decided that he would become Sunday dinner. He caught him, he rung his neck. He hooked both feet each to a piece of bailing wire, skinned and gutted him and left him soaking in buttermilk for a day and then mom breaded and baked him. He was delicious and it took what seemed like a month for my spur wound to heal.

I have, at long last found a taker for my 7 roosters. I get conflicted now and then whether or not to keep one... then Ros (as a chick I called "her" Rosie, turned out to be my now oldest rooster) reminds me why they should all go. He has been a little #$% to me. He left a swollen welt through a winter jacket and has jumped me countless times. He has never once gotten away with it... if I so much as see him get the "big chicken" look in his eye I walk him down. Still, he was up my back flogging me with his darn wings last week. I snapped him out of the air, carried him around by the feet for a good 5 minutes, laid him on his back and knelt over him watching him lay in quiet surrender only to do it again 2 hours later.

I repeated the routine again. Since then he has still come at me, but when he saw me turn and look at him, he thought better of it and ran off (tried to, I still went after him. I figured he was asking for it!). When I hear of roos who either 'learn their lesson' or are simply lap pets, I wonder if there was anything I could have done differently.

The taker is an experienced farmer who knows what roos are all about. I would feel terrible just passing on a nasty bird to someone expecting a pretty pet. Too bad. 3 of the other males are reaching maturity. Who knows if they would turn out to be sweet lap pets... but I'd sooner just have my girls back and be able to pet them without watching my back all the time.

Who's quote was it? "Ninja roos make good stews"? They'd be my dinner if I wasn't a vegetarian
smile.png

I have one that's so scary i've adapted that coop so that I don't have to go in to feed or water him
sad.png
He's a bantam Sultan and has been evil since he was four or five months old. I raised him with a Buff Orpington rooster and a Silver Laced Cochin, but they decided they had had enough of him one day and ganged up on him. He was a mess and I stupidly took pity on him and gave him his own coop and hens. Now I can hardly ever go in there, and won't unless it's a necessity and I am always armed. He has never actually managed to spur me, but that doesn't stop him trying repeatedly. You can kick him away as many times as you like but he will keep coming at you. He likes to go for you when you have turned your back on him too. It doesn't even matter if you are feeding him, he'd rather attack. The only reason he's alive is because i'm too scared to try and catch him.

The Silver Laced Cochin turned too. He would try to attack me through the fence...until the raccoon got him. He was a pretty bird, but that's about all I could say in his defence.

My Buff Orpington is great. I thought i'd lost him last year when one of the ranch kids left my chicken coop door open, and all I could find was feathers outside. I almost gave up hope and decided to follow them one more time as it was almost dark. I found him, minus tailfeathers but otherwise ok! He has never tried to attack anyone, doesn't crow a great deal, and is nice to the ladies. He will not tolerate another rooster now though.

I had a Porcelain D'Uccle rooster and he was nice too. He never crowed until we moved him closer to our house though, and then wouldn't shut up.

My Black Orpington so far is nice. He does the shuffly dance thing and breeds the hens, but so far hasn't shown aggression.

I have a Blue Wyandotte who is just maturing, and i'm wondering how he will be. Since the raccoon incident there has been a lot of moving birds, and now he is the only rooster in that coop. The hens have got more aggressive since my 'top hens' moved out.

My Black Ameraucana is a lunatic. He is a bully with hens, and runs around screaming if I go anywhere near him. He escaped and I even took my bird dog out to try and find him; he finally showed up and I trapped him in a tomato cage LOL

My EE roosters free range, and are horrible to other birds. One even flew up and tried to attack another rooster I was carrying.

Last edited:
We have 2 Buff Orp Roo's. The bigger one is really nice. The smaller one has been getting progressively mean. Started with pecking at our feet, picking on other hens. Today I had let them out to free range and he had come to the door and was eating and one of the hens followed him. I was about 30 feet away when he grabbed the hen by her head and wouldn't let go of her. She was flapping around squawking and he was kind of shaking her. I yelled at him and started running towards him and he finally let go. I'm not sure what exactly he had a hold of on her, but he had her good. He held on to her for a good 15 - 20 seconds.

His days are numbered.

i have a rooster named rig and he is a nasty little boy, he will spur you no matter where you are or what your doing, we have all the boys tied up on a leash and on a certain distance they cant get me but they try, trust me. so anyway everyday when i take care of him, i get attacked with his little spur, and being an oeg rooster after you kick him he still comes back, a rooster got loose one day and tried to fight him but when i got to them nothing was happening so i bent down to get the loose rooster and rig attacked me, i had a spur mark on my side for about a week and it hurt!! He just doesnt like me,, i dont take care of him anymore i dont like him AT ALL.

he should be named sog
[son of a gun]

Back
Top Bottom