To cold for chickens , so they are in basement now

gottalovemychickens

SaveAChickenRideACowboy
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
50 Miles SouthEast of DENVER !
So out here 60 miles South East of denver , we were supposed to get a ok amount of snow and ok temp . Well i woke up this morning to only find my coop filled with snow and ice all over . The ice got so thick on my coop roof that it collapsed in. I removed all 28 chicks and 5 hens . I cant believe it . I felt so bad.

Currently we are at 19* with a windchill of 0*

Good day

barnie.gif
So sorry to hear that! I sure hope everybody is allright and you can get it taken care of soon. My DH is over in the Rangley (?) Mable area on a hunting trip so I've been keeping track of the weather around there. It sounds just awfull!

Oh no!!
sad.png

I'm sorry to hear about your coop, gottalove. Mine's holding up thus far - I went out this morning to about 12" of snow on the coop roof and it's holding up thus far... I took a pic and will post it to BYC when I upload it from the camera... Our coop has galvenized roofing that is pitched, not so much that it automatically sheds the snow, but it should start to slough off once the warmer temps return... Our chickens don't seem to mind the cold and snow - and I'm very glad that I decided to put a roof over the run. I'm probably going to open the run door after work tonight to see if the girls are interested in exploring 18+ inches of fresh snow!

Good luck to you! At least things are supposed to warm up over the next week, so I'm hoping the snow won't stick around long...

Sorry to hear about your coop.
hide.gif

We get pretty bad winters here, too (Boston area). My pullets are only 11 weeks old so we are keeping them in our basement for the winter.

I hear ya, I'm in Grand Junction, fortunately both of my hen houses have sloped roofs, but I was still out there yesterday with a broom to knock the snow off of over-hanging branches. And it's yecky and muddy, but my 8 hens went out into the yard just a bit ago. Got four eggs both yesterday and today, despite this horrible weather! Nobody's ready for this!!!

I closed 'em in last night, and got the chicks in the barn and they all seem just fine with that. No fights or egg eating... so far.
yippiechickie.gif

We've go officially 18" of snow here so far with a couple of drifts covering my round pen that's 6-1/2 feet high.

'Tis a privilage to live in Colorado!

Eeekkk! I am not ready for snow, yet.

What are you going to do for the rest of the winter? I hope you don't have to co-habitate with chickens in your basement all winter. Egads!

Quote:
hey you are in Elizabeth also !!! . Yeah i have 7 foot drifts all over the property and got my escalade stuck in the snow, just about 4 feet of snow lol .

yes the chickens are down in the basement and still laying egg , but good thing is the barrier from the hens and the chicks , there is a small hole the chicks crawl thru and the pecking order is now starting and going great !!!

Back
Top Bottom