1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To cold!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redneck farmer, Feb 12, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Is 45 degrees to cold for three week old chickens? I'm wanting to put my chicks in my coop that I'm gonna build this weekend but its gonna be 45 degrees... But it will be warm in the day time ( tipical Florida weather) will they get to cold? Or r they fine an I'm just a big worryer

2. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    How warm during the day? If it is warm during the day, you could put them out during the day, but bring them back in at night.

3. redneck farmer

Te high is 70 for the first to days then 59 the last cold day

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I think they'll be fine. At 3 weeks they're fairly well feathered and they've got each other to roost next to at night for warmth. I put 4 week old chicks out in spring here with highs 50F and lows in the high 30's.

5. redneck farmer

Ya but mine ain't used to the cold an its gonna DROP in temp like 15 degrees in just a day so, but I think your right they will be ok

6. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Im in Louisiana...similar weather as far as warm one day, freezing the next. I would definitely let them be out during the day, but would bring them in when it gets colder at night. I will let mine stay out when that young as long as it doesn't get below about 50 at night.

7. redneck farmer

Ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by