To Duck or not to Duck - Nearby Neighbors

I have 14 Ducks, 5 drakes and 9 hens. They are loud especially when they see me. It wasn't so bad until we got one Khaki Campbell that is the loudest duck I have ever heard. She is the ring leader of the Choir. Once she starts the others join in. It is mostly when they see me as I am the care taker. You have to keep your ducks on ground that is not hard as they can get bumble foot. If it is too hard or uncomfortable for your bare feet it can damage their feet. I love mine and my neighbors are very close but love to hear them quack as they say they sound like they are all laughing. I am very fortunate. They have torn up a huge part of our yard that is now their pen, they have no pond but large containers of water that they can bathe in. Their pen is huge and covered in netting because we have hawks that could attack them. I got my two Mallards from Metzer Farms. I ordered females and the one has laid eggs almost all winter and is still laying. I wanted them pioned so that they could not fly but they forgot to do it so I clip one wing. Muscovy ducks are quiet and good for eating flies and other bugs. I have two Hens that do that for me. Good luck with your choices. I am getting 4 eggs a day now from my 9 Hens but not sure who all is laying except the one Mallard for sure as her eggs are a light green.

Have you ever gotten Bumblefoot from the mulch? I use sand but have to keep adding it and I am up to about 6 ton and have two more to put in. I put a lot of water in the pen while filling up all of their buckets and emptying them but they love to splash in it and the pen is very big. I was just curious on how the mulch worked. I was concerned that something in it might poke their feet?
I used to have problems with bumblefoot. I thought it was the mulch and forest floor materials. Turns out it was rocks underneath the beddIng. Mulch is fine. It keeps everything drier, which prevents bacterial grossness. I now have no issues with bumblefoot.

Noise, I have lots of.

Pekin mom and khaki dad I was able to sex link babies at birth
My chocolates are girls my blacks are boys
But it’s also a pain when selling them as I know what they are and can’t lie
I would much rather not know the sex
I let the school hatch a batch of my eggs and all 6 were boys
Usually I get 50/50 or 70/30 more girls
Yes I’ve also done this, also with a pekin mom and khaki dad. But as far as “purebreds” (is that the right word?) the only ones sex linked by beak are welshies right?

If selling I agree it’s better just not to know

Just my 2 cents:

My ducks are WAY louder than my chickens. WAAAAAY louder. And not just my Calls. My other breeds are louder, too (Welsh Harlequin, Runner, Saxony, Swedish, Hookbill - and the Pekin is the loudest BY FAR). They are super duper messy (what lawn? didn't I used to have a lawn?). They don't lay as often past their first and second years. I get maybe 6-8 duck eggs a week now from 8 ducks. But I LOVE them (Calls, in particular, are awesome little critters) and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
Huh. I had read the eggs usually didn’t taper off until at least year 3. Sad day - that was one of my “pros” over chickens.

I have some ducks I've never heard quack and then a few that love to RA RA RA so loud that I can hear them clear across the property. The quiet ones are Black Swedish, Anconas, and Silver Appleyard. With that though, it's nothing compared to the chickens' egg song which some days I feel like never stops, especially when it's contagious and alllllllll the ladies get going to celebrate the momentous occasion of laying an egg.

With property your size it'd be best to manage a pen for them (mulch, mulch, and more mulch to keep the mud away) and then let them free range supervised on none mud inducing days. I'm 100% team duck, while my husband is 100% team chicken, but they're all amazing so you can't really go wrong <3
Have you ever gotten Bumblefoot from the mulch? I use sand but have to keep adding it and I am up to about 6 ton and have two more to put in. I put a lot of water in the pen while filling up all of their buckets and emptying them but they love to splash in it and the pen is very big. I was just curious on how the mulch worked. I was concerned that something in it might poke their feet?

Good morning, everyone!

I live on a small lot (1/2 acre) and just checked and legally am allowed up to three POULTRY - which is "any domesticated fowl...etc etc." But it pretty clearly would allow for ducks, which I didn't realize until today. BUT there is a provision against roosters (if one keeps chickens) and a general noise/nuisance provision.

SO.

I would be interested in female ducks for eggs. In reading up a bit, it sounds like the females are the louder sex. Are they louder than hens? If so, is it a large difference? And are there quieter breeds (besides muscovy - wanting an egg-laying breed).

I am initially liking the idea of cayugas or runners. Pros/Cons/differences?

TIA for any and all help and education!!
My Cayuga female is my most quiet female. The silver appleyard female is also pretty quiet but a troublemaker. And the pekin female is the loudest of all, always quaking at something

Good morning, everyone!

I live on a small lot (1/2 acre) and just checked and legally am allowed up to three POULTRY - which is "any domesticated fowl...etc etc." But it pretty clearly would allow for ducks, which I didn't realize until today. BUT there is a provision against roosters (if one keeps chickens) and a general noise/nuisance provision.

SO.

I would be interested in female ducks for eggs. In reading up a bit, it sounds like the females are the louder sex. Are they louder than hens? If so, is it a large difference? And are there quieter breeds (besides muscovy - wanting an egg-laying breed).

I am initially liking the idea of cayugas or runners. Pros/Cons/differences?

TIA for any and all help and education!!
My Welsh Harlequins hens rarely quack and when they do, it tends to be a more quiet quack. My Runners are all drama queens and will express themselves all day about this or that. They are also much louder than my Welshies. My neighbors all love the ducks. They were a hit during the pandemic and still are. Folks, especially those with children, will stop by to see what the ducks are up to, and when they don't hear any quacking they express concern that I might have gotten rid of them. I've never gotten noise complaints, as my ducks are quiet as mice when they go to sleep at night, which is the time when most people want peace and quiet.

I used to have problems with bumblefoot. I thought it was the mulch and forest floor materials. Turns out it was rocks underneath the beddIng. Mulch is fine. It keeps everything drier, which prevents bacterial grossness. I now have no issues with bumblefoot.

Noise, I have lots of.
Thank you so much for the info. I have sand but they still manage to turn it into mud and every spring I am putting 2 more ton of sand in the pen. I love how it is easy on the feet though and have never had bumblefoot on any of my ducks. I appreciate your answer.

Back
Top Bottom