To Grit or not to Grit

LizzzyJo

Songster
Dec 14, 2018
Northwest Ohio
I have 10 month old orpingtons. They have a big run and free range about 2 hours every other day on my 3 acres. More on the weekends. I have tried buying them actual chicken grit before, but they never eat it. They eat kitchen scraps and whatever they find foraging besides their normal food. I see them eat tiny pieces of gravel from around their coop area.
Should I keep buying them grit? It is expensive, they throw it around and don't eat it. I know they need grit - but is it possible they're getting enough by foraging?

Thanks!

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
You probably don't need it. My chickens rarely eat the grit I give them either, so I less and less frequently even give them grit. I think I've been working on the same small 5lb bag for close to a year now with 5 chickens and 6 ducks.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I bought about a gallon of granite grit from local mill for like 5 bucks,
sifted it thru a colander with 1/8" holes to separate smaller pieces for chicks.
Sprinkle a bit on a hunk of sod for the chicks in brooder.
I toss some out into run once in awhile as my birds are confined and there are not sharp sided 'rocks' in there.
Put some in a feeder once and a few gorged on it...found that out when slaughtering an old hen whose gizzard was packed full of it.
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

Top Bottom