To order or not to order, that is the question . . .

larkflying

Songster
8 Years
Well, I was all set to make an order for more Welsh Harlequin ducklings today, and thought my decision was simply whether to go with sexed ducklings from Metzers, or unsexed ducklings from Holderreads, when I went out to feed the birds. I checked my broody duck without any hopes of ducklings (she'd been nesting a long time and I'd figured she was due the first of June) and lo, there was a little duckling there and from the beak it looked like it might even be a girl.

So, now I am going to wait and see I guess, although it is hard to stop myself from ordering more ducklings JUST in case . . . I have two more ducks on nests, so ideally if they both hatch out a few, then I'll be fine for this year, and can order more females next year. What do you think about a ratio of 2 drakes to 9 ducks sounds like? After watching the drakes last year I'd feel better with 12 or so females . . .

We are all coming down with Whooping Cough, so it was a nice surprise in the middle of a not so fun week . . .

I don't think that sounds like a bad idea, i am facing the same issue.. i have two nests set to hatch this week and i am after ducks, i have 3 drakes... so i am hoping at least to have 6 ducks but i'd like to actually amp that up to perhaps a bit higher.. maybe 9? allowing 3 ducks per, of coarse it doesn't help i have a maybe ducky my only hatch so far this year a 5wk old.. right now I am 3 drakes to 4 ducks that is going okay but is not ideal.

Good luck w/your hatching!

Congrats on your duckling! I think I'm gonna have to get some welshies later too. Although, I also have two broodies (one is sitting on 10 and one is sitting on 11), so I'll have to wait until next year.

I had a duck lose a nest, and the others just chose random places, so I didn't have a lot of hope for the others. They were yearlings so I wasn't expecting much from them this year.

My first duckling was hatched out by a silkie chicken, 3 weeks ago, and this one was hatched out by a duck, which I much prefer. They both seem to be girls, so I'm excited about that!

Hope you both get ducklings . . . lots of girls!

Back
Top Bottom