To plug or not to plug.

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have recently gotten an incubator.
It has red plugs in it and i dont know if i should remove them or not.
Should I?
Heres my bator.
89747_img_18441.jpg

I have a forced air unit of that kind. I left my plugs in because it kept things more stable. What I did was put a towel on the bottom of the bator and then ran it until day 18. Instead of opening the plugs for more air flow..I took a couple cd's and placed them under each corner to raise it up. Therefore opening up all the little bottom vents. Hatch seems to be going ok but it is my first hatch..and yes only one egg was fertile..but its hatching lol.

My humidity was easily kept at 45% then 60-65% now that this little one is hatching.

removing one plug will give you about a degree of drop in temp and a drop of a few degrees in humidity. I use the plugs to regulate temp rather than using the switch.

I bought an LG with a fan for my first incubator with an egg turner as I wasn't sure if I was going to incubate more than once. (I know there are a lot of LG haters on BYC) but I have had many successful hatches. The price was right since I wasn't sure what I was getting into and I was pretty sure I could sell it and recoup most of my expense. I also turn it on the day before I set my eggs to let the incubator stabilize. I found when adjusting the temperature you have to be very careful and barely turn the temp control just a slight whisker then walk away for awhile and let it stabilize. I think most people adjust and adjust some more, but you have to walk away. The thermostat is super sensitive.The temp will fluctuate while the eggs are adjusting to the incubator temperature. Resist temptation to adjust the temp. After a few hours if you need to adjust it then do it but BARELY increase or decrease. The slightest movement of the thermostat can make a BIG difference in the temp. You can also adjust your temp and humidity to some extent by removing one or both of the plugs. I fill the reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator when I turn it on to let it stabilize. It takes hours for the eggs internal temp to come up. Now I have a cabinet incubator I incubate in and I still use my LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators as hatchers. My incubators are in a room that can be closed off from the other rooms. Just my opinion.

Quote:
i prefer dry incubation methods, and leave the plugs out. then on day 18 I move them to my hatcher (same type bator) with plugs in so i can crank up the humidity...

incubation the humitity ranges from 25-35% and then up to 60+ for hatch.

I have Hovabators branded ones, not the little giant (I think that's what you have?) but they work very similar.

Quote:
i prefer dry incubation methods, and leave the plugs out. then on day 18 I move them to my hatcher (same type bator) with plugs in so i can crank up the humidity...

I have Hovabators branded ones, not the little giant (I think that's what you have?) but they work very similar.

I dry incubate with the LG and it is similar 25 to 35 dry then I start plugs in at lock down and remove plugs to regulate humidity as needed to keep it 65 ish.

Quote:

I dry incubate with the LG and it is similar 25 to 35 dry then I start plugs in at lock down and remove plugs to regulate humidity as needed to keep it 65 ish.

Hmm..I thought at lockdown is when you're supposed to remove the plugs so they can breathe the air?

Back
Top Bottom