To tarp or not to tarp

What a cute coop. We put heavy silver colored tarps from Rural King (like Tractor Supply) over ours and bungee them and/or cable tie them down. Mine hate wind and most of them hate being wet, too, so it gives them more space to run around even if it's raining as long as it's not too bad out. We keep them on in the Spring/Summer but reposition them to block the hot sun.

C&Rman :

Your coop shoulld be on your christmas card, that thing is BEAUTIFUL....

I'm sure you're referring to Bluebird's coop, I am trying to keep my chicks from seeing it - or they'll want to move there too
wink.png

After tarping one area of the run - I've noticed that instead of running around in the run getting wet - they are all huddled under the coop. Silly chickens. It's perfectly dry under the tarp!

So I tarped a portion of the run yesterday and today it's rained pretty much all day. I just went out again to check on the chicks and I noticed a big drip in the run. Seems some of the water had pooled overhead in one area. I'm thinking tarping the top won't be such a great solution - if it froze like that I'd have a big ice chunk overhead with only the welded wire holding it up. I'll have to see what my DH thinks about this situation this weekend. Hopefully the next couple of days of rain won't cause any damage to the structure itself. I thought I had enough of a slant on the roof for it to roll off the tarp, but either it wasn't tight enough or it stretched out in spots and with the pitch not being great enough - pooling is happening. Not too bad right now with the small amount of rain we got today - but I foresee potential problems with it. Maybe I'll go ahead and cover the run with a permanent structure instead - DH will flip when I suggest it - I may have to do it myself while he's at work
wink.png

97463_coop_coverup_010.jpg
97463_coop_coverup_012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom