Today was the day!!!

I noticed a small crack in yesterday’s egg. I’m assuming it’s from hitting the wood bottom of the nesting box when it fell out of her butt. And no matter how much pine shavings I put down there they all seem to be kicked away come laying time. So I went and got some thick cushy fake grass this morning and installed it on the nest box floor. Fingers crossed
I read that if they're kicking the eggs out, you can make the wood at the exit of the nest a little taller so the egg doesn't roll out and crack :)

Congratulations!!! My Chickens are almost 6 months old and I still haven't gotten any eggs!!!
What breeds do you have? I’m just about at six months as well but only the blue Australorp is laying. The Wyandottes are really red in the face with big combs and wattles but only barely squatting. The Brahma is in the same boat. But my EE is just now starting to turn red in the comb and face.

10 hens and 4 roosters but these are my hens. Buffy (Buffed Orpington), Ruby (Rhode Island Red), Easter (New Hampshire red, we first thought that she was an Easter egger but decided to keep her name!), Lacie (Black Australorp), Aunika (Welsummer), Willow (Easter Egger), Ester (Easter Egger), Blue (Blue Andalusian), Sam (Black Sumatra), and Alice (Cuckoo Maran) NO one has started laying yet. We hatched our 4 roosters and Sam in Late May and got the rest in late July. They are on a diet of Meal worms, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Organic Whole Oats and Whole Corn (We can't find any organic whole corn)

10 hens and 4 roosters but these are my hens. Buffy (Buffed Orpington), Ruby (Rhode Island Red), Easter (New Hampshire red, we first thought that she was an Easter egger but decided to keep her name!), Lacie (Black Australorp), Aunika (Welsummer), Willow (Easter Egger), Ester (Easter Egger), Blue (Blue Andalusian), Sam (Black Sumatra), and Alice (Cuckoo Maran) NO one has started laying yet. We hatched our 4 roosters and Sam in Late May and got the rest in late July. They are on a diet of Meal worms, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Organic Whole Oats and Whole Corn (We can't find any organic whole corn)

Wow that’s a mix! I would think your Australorp should be starting soon. With you feed...are you using any calcium? Oyster shell or egg shells? I didn’t see layer crumbles or pellets in your feed description. I’m new to this and I know there are other ways to feed. Maybe the lack of calcium is slowing them down? Idk

Wow that’s a mix! I would think your Australorp should be starting soon. With you feed...are you using any calcium? Oyster shell or egg shells? I didn’t see layer crumbles or pellets in your feed description. I’m new to this and I know there are other ways to feed. Maybe the lack of calcium is slowing them down? Idk
They have oyster shells as an option but I need to move the container because I don't think that they can get it right now because their water that I have for the winter because it's a heated waterer but it makes it so that they can't get to the oysters I think that I am going to move ti today!!

Back
Top Bottom