Todays Chicken Observations

BairleaFarm

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Georgetown, KY
1. What Time do your chickens go to bed?

Ive been putting them to bed between 830 and 9 when it startes getting dark. Ive had to pick each one (all 43) by one and put them in the coop. I got tied up tonight and didnt get out there until 930. Every single one was in the coop. I guess they want to go to the coop later than Ive been putting them in.

2. Not using the perch. I see them sitting on the lower perches during the day. I usually check them before I goto sleep and they are never on the perches. I did however notice just a few minutes ago that tonight I was able to pick them up and they appeared asleep. No wing flapping no nothing. I went ahead and set a couple of the older ones on perches.

3. My pin is to small for the birdies. I came home this afternoon and half the flock were free ranging. Very funny to see chicks wondering arounf through grass and weeds taller than them.

4. My oldest bird is a hen. Maybe a few months old. I would assume shes to young to lay???? The last 2 days shes been building nest on the coop floor. Ive showed her the laying boxes and put her in them.

Things will get much more interesting when birds mature and if allowed raise bitties of their own. I like some grass to be shorter as it gives them better visual contact with landscape and dry areas to walk. Also often produces new plant growth that is easier to consume.

they had no desire to go to the mowed part of the yard. Seemed they were playing in teh tall stuff(more bugs there id suspect). I love watching them growing and being chickens.

Back
Top Bottom