Today's Menu and Baking Thread

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MissPrissy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm going to try the meatloaf, only with bear meat. [​IMG]
    I've got bread dough rising by the woodstove, and snow softly falling outside. Doesn't get much better than that!

(oh, and add chicks cheeping in the background... [​IMG])

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    Quote:I love mine. The only draw back is that it is recommended not to use it for pressure canning becasue of the weight and heat generated. I know some do, but I don't take the chance and I do my pressure canning in the garage on the turkey fryer base.

3. I'm stealing all things from BYC for dinner tonight, the rolls MP made from Katy's sticky bun recipe, and the Quiche from the other day that someone (I forget who right this second) posted... A salad on the side.
    Still haven't picked something for dessert yet, I still have time to throw together my ribbon winning apple pie [​IMG]

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I love mine. The only draw back is that it is recommended not to use it for pressure canning becasue of the weight and heat generated. I know some do, but I don't take the chance and I do my pressure canning in the garage on the turkey fryer base.

I do my canning on a turkey fryer base too. No mess in the house. I set up in the garage to prepare it, and then sit the fryer outside. Works great!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Terrie! Your cinnamon rolls are gorgeous!

You're not supposed to use cast iron on them either. Oops! I do but with very low controled heat.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    That's not castiron. It is a teflon frying pan my husband tried to tighten the handle on [​IMG]

Now I bake stuff in it.

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Oh. No. I meant in general. I wasn't paying attn to your pan. LOL

I do things I am not supposed to when cooking.

8. Goodness, I was literally in the market for an electric stove so that I could stop buying propane since that is the only thing that uses it in my house, but now hearing you all say what is not supposed to be used on them I don't think I want one!
    I love my pressure canner and all I use is cast iron and pyrex! I had no idea that there were limits on what to use on an electric range. [​IMG]

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland

I keep forgetting the burners are hot and putting plastic containers
    down on the stove. It takes some good scraping to get melted plastic
    off. KEEP THE TUPPERWARE AWAY. [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is one of the biggest learning curves on these ceramic tops!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by