Toe nails

Ja Mee

Chirping
May 27, 2022
This isn't an emergency but i do need help. I finally figured out at least part of why one of my hens isn't walking well. See pictures. Duh! I feel terrible for not noticing before now. I know I need to trim them and I know to be careful regarding the quick of the nail. However, I do not see any pink to indicate where the quick begins. How much would you take off of these nails?
View attachment 3559925View attachment 3559927

Don't try to go for near the quick. It is always better to cut less than more. You can always repeat.
What is their area like. Normally a hen will wear those down herself just from scratching in soil. If they are always on deep bedding or wire, that is when it usually becomes an issue.

Don't try to go for near the quick. It is always better to cut less than more. You can always repeat.
What is their area like. Normally a hen will wear those down herself just from scratching in soil. If they are always on deep bedding or wire, that is when it usually becomes an issue.
They on dirt and wood chips. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom