Tomorrow I build the Cochin Inn...by myself

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bburn, Jan 4, 2011.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Harry grew up and became a rooster. There was doubt by all for a very long time. Now he is a rooster though and I finally found him four hens except two were roosters and now they have been rehomed....sigh.

But the temps here are getting colder and next week really cold. I made them a place in their corner run that blocked the wind and there is a tarp on top that keeps the rain out. But now I am worried.

DH says he is not going to build another blankity, blank coop. He built me a large one and then added on when the Lone Rooster got beat up and I got him some girls of his own.

So, I came home with this box thing that they ship 'stuff' in. It is about 2' tall but seems pretty well made. Remember there is just Harry the Cochin and his two girls. And remember that my husband is a carpenter and there is not a reason in the world that I should be building this by myself but he is working and I am not at the moment and besides, I have all his tools. Bahahaha!

So I am going to use 2x4's to make it taller and to make the frame for the top. I have lots of tin from an old barn and we have built all the coops out of that tin so far. First I will cut the tin....as long as the saw dealy has a metal blade I can cut it. All about 4' long. I will attach the tin to the box and 2x4's and that will protect the bottom of the wood box and also make the whole thing stouter. (carpenter term, ok, carpenters helper term) Then I will put the roof on at a slant so rain will run off and out of the run and that will make a place for some ventilation too. (smart of me I think and it was what DH did....slanted the top) I have a big bucket of those nails with the rubber seal on them and I have used them before. I have to build it in the corner pen because it won't fit in the gate (that I made from a tile spacer that I found in the metal building...made a good gate after it was covered with hardware cloth and he just noticed what it was last week! He has not used it since I have known him anyway so it is a found object).

OH, and I will attach the roost to the inside BEFORE I put the tin siding on the entire thing. The pop door will remain open but I am going to make a taller door above it so I can get in to clean it. Hmmm.....need to find some 'found object' hinges....they are out there in the shed someplace. Better than zip ties prolly.

All this and the box will be up on four cinder blocks instead of on the ground to protect the wood floor.

Ok. Yeah me.....sounds like it might work.

The only problem I have is this is INSIDE of the big run and in the corner. So all materials have to be toted through the run, past the swarm of hens that want treats when they see me. Going to have to give them yogurt on the other side of the run to get them distracted.

Note to self: go on craigslist and look for a gate for a chain link fence. I really need to be able to get in the corner pen without having to go through the swarm of hens!!

Any advice will be gleefully accepted. But I do think I can keep it reasonably square since I am starting with an open topped box. And if I use enough 2x4's and nails it won't fall over!!

That is my plan.....pictures will follow upon completion. Yeah, me!

Oh, I just remembered.....my DSIL is wanting a haircut tomorrow! Maybe he will get here for the toting of the materials! Again, yeah me!
    And that will be my totally FREE GREEN coop for Harry and his girls!

2. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Just measured....it is bricks instead of cinder blocks....measure twice, cut once.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Good for you! And good luck! Looking forward to your pics. [​IMG]

4. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Just hoping to get it reasonably square and really sturdy. Planning out loud!

5. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Sounds like a great plan, and it feels great to be able to complete something like that yourself. If you run into trouble, a great backup plan is to be working on it when DH gets home. When he sees the problems that you are having, and knows how easily he could fix it himself, he will probably lend a hand without being asked. My DH was a framing carpenter for years, and while I can do some of the stuff myself, he can do it 100X faster than me. Something that frustrates me and might take me hours, he can do in no time. Good Luck!

6. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    It will be dark before he gets home today....and it is his BD so I have to get it done myself. However, my DSIL called and is off and wants a haircut today. I just texted him and told him he needs to come early enough to help me at least TOTE everything into the pen where I have to build this thing. My gate is too narrow (that I made) and the base has to be carried in sideways! Plus, he used to work for my DH.....he can pay for his haircut by helping a little. I'll tell him when he gets here! Have everything measured. Am going to cut everything before it goes in the pen.

At least if he helps me carry everything in it will all be there and I can put it together.

I have a plan......the first step.

7. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    you go girl!!

And if anything does not meet hubbys expectations.....maybe next time he will want to help.[​IMG]

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    hehehehehe .......[​IMG]
    Don't forget to post pics of you DIY project.

9. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    Sounds great! I can't wait to see pictures of your progress....I love to live vicariously through other people [​IMG] .

10. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Sounds like fun. please post pics when you can. Before and after if you can as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by