Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Well today was day 21 for me and I have nothing, no peeps, no movement so I guess iam done, with my 1st attempt at hatching(big bust). I am collecting eggs this week to try again with a 50/50 chance of fertilized eggs.
Congratulations to everyone that had successful hatches they are so cute
Just had the same issue candle before you give up. I had all my eggs hatch on day 22 instead of 21. I think my temp is off on my thermometers so getting another set that is more accurate to calibrate the temp better.

I get it at the dollar store its shelf liner
You can see I cut it to shape and prefer to use the holy rubber kind.
I have s small flashlight that is very bright. A Dark space helps, I use one that is similar in size to the egg so that I can use my fingers to close the gap in between the egg and the flashlight. Takes a little practice but works well
I think the lining you're asking about is the no skid shelf liner. It has a rubbery texture to it and holes through it. Comes in rolls like these.

View attachment 2033540

I haven't made a platform for candling, I just use my hand, but a lot of people make different little stands and flashlight wraps to make it easier for them.

Thanks! I'll pick some of the shelf liner up today for my Leap Day babies.

I think I'm just going to leave all eggs in and see how we go! I can see development right there around the air sac so at least at some point, everything was going well. Any reason I shouldn't do this?

These are the best shipped eggs Ive ever had, btw. The ones from byc and a local-ish breeder I was planning to pickup from, but then she mailed them to me in a snow storm. Pretty excited!! Now on the hunt for some orpington eggs that can be shipped like this. 🤣

Well today was day 21 for me and I have nothing, no peeps, no movement so I guess iam done, with my 1st attempt at hatching(big bust). I am collecting eggs this week to try again with a 50/50 chance of fertilized eggs.

I second @Merrymouse that I'd wait a bit. I've had a few late hatchers here and there and if the temp is a little off they could still hatch. Did they look ok when you candled them?

Thanks! I'll pick some of the shelf liner up today for my Leap Day babies.

I think I'm just going to leave all eggs in and see how we go! I can see development right there around the air sac so at least at some point, everything was going well. Any reason I shouldn't do this?

These are the best shipped eggs Ive ever had, btw. The ones from byc and a local-ish breeder I was planning to pickup from, but then she mailed them to me in a snow storm. Pretty excited!! Now on the hunt for some orpington eggs that can be shipped like this. 🤣

I second @Merrymouse that I'd wait a bit. I've had a few late hatchers here and there and if the temp is a little off they could still hatch. Did they look ok when you candled them?
Greenbriar has Orp egg assortments on Ebay

Chocolate Cuckoo
Hens Choice
Chocolate

I know people have told me that their shipping is great and the eggs are very fresh and hatch well.

Hatch is over. I ended up with 6 little ones from my shipped silkie eggs. I already mentioned one quit but another didn't make it either. It seemed like it was behind and never really drew down. I eggtopsied today when I saw the blood vessels had receded. It was in the right postion (other than the head was above the wing). I'm not really sure exactly why it didn't make it but I did notice the yolk was kind of stuck to the membrane and part of the yolk sac seemed to be looping around the leg so I'm sure that didn't help.

Here are pictures of the little cuties who did hatch. :D

View attachment 2033551

View attachment 2033552

View attachment 2033553

I managed to get hatching pics of one of the little ones zipping. The little one finished the zip up on a heating pad.

View attachment 2033554

One of the little ones hatched with only 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other but look how tiny that little 5th toe is, it's just barely attached! I thought it was kind of interesting, I haven't seen this before so thought I'd share.

View attachment 2033555

Oh also I know it's a little late but wanted to say Happy Birthday CluckNDoodle! Hopefully I got that right, I was pretty sure you mentioned it was on the 22nd. :)

Oh my goodness they're beautiful!!!
celebrate.gif
And thank you for the happy birthday wishes! I had a great day!

That is really unusual about the Silkie chick with only 4 toes. Remind me, did these eggs come from your own flock?

I'm sorry to hear this! Like other mentioned, sometimes it just takes a little longer, especially if your temps are low. Did you candle or try to open the air cell on any of them?

I have 9 eggs in lockdown as of last night! 8 Ayam Cemani, 1 Aracauna/X. I always set late in the evening, so should start seeing things the evening of the 25th, into the day of the 26th. I will post a link to the live feed via Periscope (probably starting in the morning of the 25th) when I get it started, because it turns out YouTube won't let you live-stream from a phone if you have less than 1000 subscribers, but every other camera is ok....

Back
Top Bottom