Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

I like to start my eggtopsies the same way I would an assist in case the little ones are still alive. I start with a small hole at the top of the large end of the egg where the air cell is and then chip away at the shell until I have a good view of the baby. As long as you just remove shell that is over the air cell you shouldn't have any issues with hitting any blood vessels if the baby happens to still be alive.

This is a good article on assisting that might help to show you how to open the air cell. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
I read through the guide and will start with the safety hole. Thank you very much

🤬🤬🤬🤬!

Our power went out this morning at my house, with an estimate of 8pm to get it back on. So of course I pack up everything in a mad rush and set it back up in my horse barn. Checked three of the eggs in lockdown and all were moving so😅

And of course I get the notification that power has been restored when I have just NOT enough time to get everything back home before I have to leave for work....

Has anyone used this thermometer and was it accurate? It's supposed to be accurate to 0.1 of a degree and with a water wiggler around the sensor you are supposed to be able to get a good internal egg temp from it. Considering buying a few to add for the incubator.
I've never used it. Brinsea seems like a pretty reliable brand in general. I'd give it a go!
On a funny note when I first looked at the price I read 249.99. I almost fell off my seat😲 I then glanced again and read 24.99. Much more affordable! 🤣

I remember a couple of you saying you're using Brinsea incubators. I finally got mine, sterilized it and started running it but it smelled quite odd to me so I unscrewed the top portion and wiped it out and properly sanitized it as well....it doesn't smell like anything when it's off and I have tried airing it out multiple times after running it for hours. It smells...weird, like not quite electrical burning but like a plastic smell maybe? None of my other incubators have had this smell while they're running. Is it normal? I did look at the heating element and I see that it appears to be wrapped copper wires that heat up. I'm wondering if whatever that rubbery surround is around the heating wires is what smells so different to me. Anyway, I'm afraid to leave it running because I don't want to burn the house down and I also don't want to fumigate any eggs that I put in it...help? lol, Is the smell normal?

I remember a couple of you saying you're using Brinsea incubators. I finally got mine, sterilized it and started running it but it smelled quite odd to me so I unscrewed the top portion and wiped it out and properly sanitized it as well....it doesn't smell like anything when it's off and I have tried airing it out multiple times after running it for hours. It smells...weird, like not quite electrical burning but like a plastic smell maybe? None of my other incubators have had this smell while they're running. Is it normal? I did look at the heating element and I see that it appears to be wrapped copper wires that heat up. I'm wondering if whatever that rubbery surround is around the heating wires is what smells so different to me. Anyway, I'm afraid to leave it running because I don't want to burn the house down and I also don't want to fumigate any eggs that I put in it...help? lol, Is the smell normal?

Hmm I don't really remember much of a smell with my brinsea and my first nurture right but the nurture right I got a few weeks ago had a very strong plasticy smell when I first started running it. I was a little worried about it too but after a couple days I added eggs in and they seem fine even though it did take a few more days of running for the smell to go away. I'm not sure it was exactly like your smelly incubator since mine smelled slightly even without running but it did get a lot worse when it was running. I hope your incubator doesn't have an electrical problem and the smell will go away after a while like it did with my second nurture right! :fl

Back
Top Bottom